Metal Albums/Tracks done purely with production?

N

Neokinetik

hey, is there any metal tracks or albums done purely by production? i'm just wondering, because i've been experimenting with it lately, and i wanna know if it's been explored that much really or not? i'm thinkin i might give 'er a shot :). thanks, pz!

what do you mean "purely by production"? you mean with no real guitars, drums and bass or what? if thats what you mean i've never heard of any. kinda defeats the purpose of starting a band don't you think?

neubonic said:
what do you mean "purely by production"? you mean with no real guitars, drums and bass or what?

If indeed this is what you mean, I believe the first (several?) Nine Inch Nails albums were done like that.

I've tried it using the Slayer plugin that comes with FLStudio, and it's ok, but you'd spend forever trying to get a realistic guitar tone out of it. If I were doing it "for real", I'd record real guitars and replace the Slayer versions in the final mix. For "scratch pad" work, sometimes it's handy to use something so versatile before you lay down the final version of a song. It's a lot easier to play the "what if I moved this section here, and repeated this before going there" games with the fake stuff.

Little Feat, in more recent years, has been known to use synths for the backup horns. Use a real, live, human controlled horn for the first horn part, sequence the rest, and it sounds pretty darn close...

Sometimes, expediency is more important than realism, and in those cases, why not?

well, not necessarily no real instruments, but samples, loops, effects, etc., like, just making metal-esque songs without playing the instruments, and adding other stuff that can't be played, like, i have a band too, and i'm the turntablist/sampler/producer, and i'm into metal, so i was thinking of doing a metal solo project sort of thing, i've made a little bit so far, and peeps seem to dig it, and hip-hop gets a lil boring and restrictive at times you know?

with skinny puppy and nine inch nails they still had guitarists & ish didn't they? not too sure, but i thought so...

basically, i'm wonderin to see what's been done already, and because it feels more natural to make heavier, higher energy music, so i thought, why not try?

it has been done many many times by many artists who fall typically under the "industrial" category. I can't think of any artist names offhand, though, because I don't really listen to that stuff anymore (but I used to.)

FWIW, Meshuggah did a track called 'War' where the drums were programmed with guitars played over top. You'd have to hear the track to get the idea.

pook187 said:
FWIW, Meshuggah did a track called 'War' where the drums were programmed with guitars played over top. You'd have to hear the track to get the idea.

ah i did wonder how a human played those drums.,i think quite a lot of metal bands of the death cariety use programmed drums on their tracks.

anybody have some artists i could check with purely sampled/produced metal-esque music?

Hi there.

Check the CLAWFINGER albums.
Often read that they record the Guitars directly into the preamp. No cabinets used and it seems that also the drums are programmed but i am not sure.

Otherwise the drums on Dream Theater's Pull me under (cant recall the name) are completely triggered.

GreetZ
Jan

stookie said:

Otherwise the drums on Dream Theater's Pull me under (cant recall the name) are completely triggered.

GreetZ
Jan

During the time that album was being recorded, their guitarist, John Petrucci, was my guitar teacher... I discussed the process of the recording with him. The drums were definitely performed live but I don't recall him saying they were triggering any samples, though (they might have been triggering samples, but I just dont recall... it was a long time ago.)

Hi there.

Well you must be to a closer source then. ;-)

I heard this story from a friend of mine.
I thought he told me he got it from a Drum DVD with Mike Portnoy but can be mistaken.

GreetZ
Jan

P.S.:
Petrucci was your guitar teacher? WOW!!!
Wish i could have James as vocal coach (or his Vocal coach... :-))

I thought in the early days of NIN the guitar player from filter was in with trent? I dont follow them so I wouldnt know for sure. If we're taking about programed drums Big Black did that. A band with a drum machine. They were industrial if you ask me.

-Geoffrey

Last edited by a moderator:
i checked, NIN had live instruments from the beginning

this is what i'm talking about basically, i'm using a sample and software, and i wanna make metal, without playing any instruments, just chopping and arranging samples, and programming drums and stuff, has it been done? pz!

Hey man! Hey all in fact, just joined :)

Um, I guess some/all of my stuff might fall under the "produced metal" (or is it more one man band?) category.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/chimpspannermusic.htm

I play real guitar and real bass, while the drums are programmed (well, sometimes programmed, sometimes just played in with a MIDI keyboard). Drummers will probably be able to tell straight away, but the newer songs sound fairly convincing I guess. There are also keyboards/synths/spot sound effects lurking in there too. And it's great cos I can work in modules/chunks. Re-arrange stuff, copy and paste, yadayada. Ultimately I'd like to take all the songs and produce new recordings with continuous takes on all live instruments, but time doesn't allow!

- Paul O

there are a lot of bands that do that, check out atari teenage riot, alec empire, ec8or,schizoid, anything on the digital hardcore label, it isn't straight metal, but it uses sampled guitars, break beats, screaming, noise etc. I think it is similar to what you are talking about, also check out my project, the secret life of teenage girls on myspace, I think I am doing what you want to do basically, I was also the noise/sampler guy in a band first, now I work alone.

http://www.myspace.com/thesecretlifeofteenagegirls

ah, i jus remembered this and checked it again, hopefully you're still around here hanlon, that digital hardcore stuff's interesting, so is your stuff, it's the most similar to what i'm thinking of that i've came across so far, ill stuff, PM me if you're around, peace!

Back