Differences & Similarities b/w Rock & Hip-Hop

S

seven1

Aside from all the obvious differences like use of different instruments, different patterns, different vocals.. what would you say are some significant differences and similarities?

(When I say rock music, i'm basing this more on mainstream/alternative/indie. The same goes for hip-hop)
Here are just some...
Some Differences are
- It seems that a wider array of ideas are discussed in rock lyrics. The lyrics are also a bit more intricate because alot of the time rock writers will use metaphors and similies.Whereas hip-hop music is expressed in alot more direc way and uses slang.
- Rock songs doesnt seem to have as many sounds/layers in them as alot of hip-hop does (exclude the stupid snap/crunk phase currently popular).

Similarities:
- Both rock and hiphop music is created by humans
- They use voice

Differences:
Rock = emo
Hiphop = ghetto

Overgeneralizing it a little bit, but hey.. if we didn't generalize, we wouldn't have famous quotes and tables of contents. :)

Hip-Hop is slightly more inteligent than Rock.

ROCK it's mostly just Distorted guitar and drum beating, and screaming instead of singing. and noise instead of music!

I don't really like either.

Last edited:
Rock and Hip-Hop have more in common than not in my opinion. Rock comes out of rhythmn and blues....which helped spawn rock. Hip Hop came out of that same soul and rock tradition (probably more a reaction to Disco and Funk), which is still rooted in Black Music (not trying to make this a racial issue). The anti establishment attitude of both are obvious. FOR us older folk, we remember when HIP HOP was obsessed with "not biting," so originality was encouraged at one point. Rap in the 80s/90s is akin to Rock in 60s/70s. Cats were having fun yet knew that they were actively changing their landscape.

I feel Hip Hop's future is more closely related to the path of Jazz. It started as american black music, somewhat demonized at first by the masses (read: white america), like HIP HOP. Still, perhaps b/c of the label, it grew into a worldwide phenom. (sound familiar?) Now, we see the influence of HIP HOP in all facets of American life especially, but even around the world. It's now okay for whites to be involved, like jazz. I'm rambling now so I'll quit. I'm curious what others think?

Last edited:
Agreed, 'rock n roll devil music' has is alot more complex then using mixing programs (lol) and mixing together a prerecorded beat and adding some fast talking and slang to it.

Have you ever seen a rap group on stage? All the do is stand there and play with there keyboards to act like they are doing something. I mean this takes upon a years tops to get down. Rock takes years to master. But heres what i think:

Simularities:
-Both sing
-both are in the categories of 'music'

Differences:
-Instruments
-Tone
-Rythem
-Lyrics
-Main Focus
-Types of talent

I can go on for hours about this.. But simply dont feel like it :)

And the above person made a good point. Its just they spawned into different things.

And on another side note, VHZ your a total retard..

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^I agree that the emphasis on being a MUSICIAN is big in ROCK whereas in HIP HOP, only now are people becoming intrigued with incorporating live instrumentation in HIP HOP. There were always a few HIP HOPS bands but few really every crossed over. Playing an instrument was 'nerdy' in my neighborhood and I wasn't much of a follower, but I see this attitude was common. OR people just lacked the discipline. Anyway, I disagree though about the differences brandon mentioned....While mainstream hip hop may fit into that category...I don't think the culture as a whole does. Again, we must remember in the early days, there were few preconceived notions of what is HIP HOP. So HIP HOP borrowed from all genres...this means different rhythmns are prevalent, tone, instruments, and ways of delivering lyrics are all just as important as rock...perhaps moreso, since HIP HOP tends to be a bit more minimalistic. OF course I am speaking of the upper echelon of hip hop (better phrased as progressive Hip hop). I believe if we accept stereotypes about each genre, which are mainly perpetuated by mainstream media, then certainly they are quite different, but at the core...as I stated earlier...I think they have many similarities.

Just the audience is different, so things are done differently to appeal to those its intended for.....I am no authority, so feel free to tell me I am full of ****...lol. JUST MY opinion

GreenBurn said:
Ignorance is bliss.
yeh vhz, that is stereotyping to a max.. If anything, the state of mainstream rock is more intelligent than the state of mainstream hip-hop (in terms of lyrics)

I'd like to think i'm taking an objective/impartial view on this since hip-hop and rock music are both my most favourite genres (lol I dream to be a hip-hop/rnb super-producer and want to have a rock band).
I agree with zion in that they both do have the same origins that theyre based on (all music for that matter really), but notably I think I like them for different reasons.

_brandon, you have a point I think in regards to mainstream hip-hop (Maybe Kanye West is the most entertaining, but the list doesn't drag on much longer)

zionproductions said:
in HIP HOP, only now are people becoming intrigued with incorporating live instrumentation in HIP HOP. There were always a few HIP HOPS bands but few really every crossed over.
I think being/portraying yourself as smarter/laborious in hip-hop (Lupe Fiasco, Kanye, Common e.t.c.) is greatly admired today, probably because it's such a contrast to the dumbass overplayed snap/crunk phase.
But I think it's just certains types of hip-hop that prive themselves on playing their instruments live (look at ?uestlove, The Roots and other underground acts)..

Last edited by a moderator:
_brandon said:
Have you ever seen a rap group on stage? All the do is stand there and play with there keyboards to act like they are doing something. I mean this takes upon a years tops to get down. Rock takes years to master.
Just wanted to clear up this point.

Hiphop music is electronic music. Think about it, it's in the same boat with techno and house in the way that it is made. Hiphop, just like techno, is made by a geeky guy sitting in front of his computer or sequencer. Rock music is played by a few live musicians. Both can be bad, like 13 year old hiphop kids with FL and 13 year old rock kids who can't play their instruments. However, any live music beats electronic music on stage (I'm talking as a spectacle, not as something to shake your LSD-filled body to). Live music of any genre is just entertaining to watch, because it's more organic, emotional and direct.

Yes I know, there are combinations and exceptions to everything. No need to point out the obvious.

This is why rock musicians often don't know much about the technical aspects of music. They don't need to. Their skill is in their instruments. But a hiphop musician is a producer. His livelihood is in studio work. This can include mixing, sampling, adding effects, recording, mastering, etc. I think a good hiphop musician could even help a rock band to record and release their album. It probably wouldn't work out so well the other way around..

In conclusion (generalizing and being politically incorrect as usual), hiphop excels more at the studio and the technical sides of music, while rock excels more on stage and giving huge live shows.

Last edited:
Anyone here like 30 Seconds to Mars? If you haven't heard them, you should listen. They are one of those bands with a flawless album and having that is very rare in any genre.

[Shizo] said:
Just wanted to clear up this point.

Hiphop music is electronic music. Think about it, it's in the same boat with techno and house in the way that it is made. Hiphop, just like techno, is made by a geeky guy sitting in front of his computer or sequencer. Rock music is played by a few live musicians. Both can be bad, like 13 year old hiphop kids with FL and 13 year old rock kids who can't play their instruments. However, any live music beats electronic music on stage (I'm talking as a spectacle, not as something to shake your LSD-filled body to). Live music of any genre is just entertaining to watch, because it's more organic, emotional and direct.

Yes I know, there are combinations and exceptions to everything. No need to point out the obvious.

This is why rock musicians often don't know much about the technical aspects of music. They don't need to. Their skill is in their instruments. But a hiphop musician is a producer. His livelihood is in studio work. This can include mixing, sampling, adding effects, recording, mastering, etc. I think a good hiphop musician could even help a rock band to record and release their album. It probably wouldn't work out so well the other way around..

In conclusion (generalizing and being politically incorrect as usual), hiphop excels more at the studio and the technical sides of music, while rock excels more on stage and giving huge live shows.

Good points...It has always been my dream to help put together great HIP HOP performances, not so much for myself but for the genre because we have gotten away from that

Last edited:
Back