Bored?

Liet

Crazy Clubber
The moderator of this forum must be bored to death.

Of yeah. I've got something positive to say about rock:
It's dying!

No, seriously. As long as we have Deftones "Adrenaline" CD, we'll stick around a bit longer. Wont we?

I think you shouldn't speak too fast ma :)
Rock from many point of views is no longer, especially in germany (where you are from right?). However, for many people it is still alive,a nd people like NOFX, Millen Colin, Korn, Nine Inch Nails, (mnany many more i forgot) are enjoying guitars and stuff...

It all depends what you mean by "rock" too

Of course.
Well, as I said. "Deftones" are cool! Almost the only thing I still hear.

Yes, in Germany, rock is definitely not the big thing anymore!

The big thing in Germany is still Beer ! :D

beerchug.gif

Hummm...I'm thirsty now ! :D

i love whats happening in germany, bands like oomph!, and loads like them, writing heavy stuff, with a bit of techno thrown in, but i cant buy this music in ireland, im forcefed a fistful of britanny, and boyzone everywhere, and this music is so popular in this country now, it breaks my heart...im out of time, i was born 10 years too late

Rock is not dead, but it's VERY sick.
Limp, Kid Rock and every other new angst roick band sucks.
Good rock comes and goes, just like tecno and pop.
Come on.. Who likes Chers 'believe' or all the euro pop acts, what only seems to make cover songs.
The whole industry is suffering. Currently Backst. Boys and the like rule the charts along with bad rap
and soulless rock.

The cure to all this ?
The net.
There are a lot of great small labels in every genre online.
There is still a lot of great music out there, you just have to dig deeper.
I don't listen to the radio any more, but use http://www.Spinner.com
There are tons of cool music there.

You people are talking about genres of music as if they were just fashions people follow because they happen to be "in". Well for me rock was always the one that i had because i liked it, but that aspect has certainly gone with the sellout bands (limp bizkit, korn etc). However the underground rock scene is still pumpin.

There's a ton of good rock, but they may not play it on MTV.
People into tecno will tell you rock is dying, because they don't spend time in the rock World.
Same thing with the rock people, they think all tecno is like Ibiza trance.

i agree. to find good rock, you have to know the scene. the underground rock scene in the uk is huge. I'm in a band, so i've got some pretty big links, but i dont think its to hard to find good rock if you know where to look.

for sure good rock is few and far between. but there is some good stuff even in the main stream. i really dig on the new radiohead album. they use alot more electronic sounds on it, but it really rocks. there is alot of good rockabilly also, i go so far as to say that dwight yoakam rocks (i know its a far stretch but i still like it). the cult is getting back together, they rock. i am hoping that there will be a break in quality soon.

I like some rock music but I'm no connoisseur. Dahl hit the nail on the head - most rock fans I've met think that:

techno = nosebleed acid 303 type sounds and fast hard beats (I've been to some funky techno nights which are the antithesis of this - relatively laid back, funky basslines, and a great chilled vibe)

trance = cheesy vocal / big riff stuff (what about progressive trance, the more melodic end of prog house, subtler breakbeaty stuff like Hybrid, etc.)

drum+bass is either 'okay' (i.e. they haven't really heard any but they know it's got some credibility) or 'crap'

people who like 'dance' music = people who only listen to chart music

...and are pretty much unaware of any other styles of dance music. Likewise, I think a lot of peoples' perceptions of rock music are coloured by Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson etc. It's the same with any scene. Snoop Dogg and Jay-Z don't do hip hop any favours either :)

The only problem I have about the rock scene is attitude - I've seen quite a bit of it. It just seems to be a bit more negative, a bit more aggressive, and a bit more dismissive of other styles of music. And there's too much dissing. Just the other day I saw this teenaged girl wearing a Nirvana t-shirt, and I overheard some prat scowling that 'she was still sucking on her mother's tit when Nirvana were big'. The guy was clearly disgusted - he evidently thought that 'true' Nirvana fans (like himself, probably in his mid-twenties) were the only ones who were allowed to like Nirvana. Talk about making a big deal over nothing... But I've heard a lot of this kind of thing. And all that pretentiousness about 'oh, I liked their first album but then they got too commercial...'

I agree Bongo.
You have to take music with a grain of salt and just be happy some young girl even like Nirvana.

I' m getting into Kid 606 and some of the Warp artists, most rock people probably never hear them.
It's got a lot to do with age, I'm 31 soon and I now see the circle of music, the circle you won't se until you're older. The new mall metal bands making lame songs that sounds like 80's metal leftovers, but no one mentions it.
Dance is not much better, in fact it's worse. One hit wonders redoing every single hitsong ever made with cheesy effects and a dance beat. It's not too bad in the US but it's a plague in Europe.

Back