Why can't I get this master any louder?

jbl345

Here is a link to the track I have just finished, still seems to be about 3/4db too quiet but can't figure out how to get it any louder because to me it already sounds like it's pumping too much for more compression...
Could be because there is slightly too much bass... but I like the ratio of the bass and treble
Anyway, would love to hear some comments from you friendly fellows :)

Fluctuate by Jack Breeze-Lamb | Free Listening on SoundCloud

ay thank u my friend, good point is quite low, e minor seems to be a hard one to get fat bass out of

Try adding a simple compressor / limiter to the final track. It will allow you to reach consistent levels of a high dB range without your song clipping when it dives over the red. I find that this helps my music to sound more professional. Also, try listening to your song on different kinds of speakers (headphones, car speakers, Apple earpods, etc.). This will allow you to hear which EQ adjustments you will need because the problem will be consistent throughout most speakers, if that makes sense.

Side note, I think your song sounds phenomenal! If you're trying to compare the dB level with other popular music, then I would stop comparing right away. The loudness war is almost over :)

Thanks a lot my man, have added a limiter, multi band and parallel compression over the whole mix, perhaps this is in fact too much... but this is why I am confused as to why it is not particularly loud

A lot of people compress and limit stuff way too early because they're obsessing over 'getting it loud'. It's only valid up to some point though.. compression raises the perceived loudness. It's a trick.
If you compress every sound, then compress it again at the bus level and again at the master level... you lose detail and impact at every turn.
By the time you reach the master stage everything is already squashed into soundcake, so even the best limiter isn't gonna make that a tight and punchy whole.

Track is cool btw.. got any more of these?

Yeah I think from now on I’m not gonna worry too much abou loudness, really doesn’t seem worth it, and thank you! Nothing that similar to this right now but working on some filthy content.

this is especially helpful advice as I have a friend who likes to compress everything to shit before mastering, and I learn a lot from him. Nice to get some varying opinions

Last edited:
It really all comes down to how well your mix is put together. If your mix is properly compressed and has steady EQ levels, then the mastering portion will be so much easier

Back