Not open for further replies.

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
First post of many!

:cheers:
:cheers:
:victory:

The Trip Hop heads have their new home! Let's make this the best trip hop community ever!

Regards,

-mano

I'll be in this forum quite a bit. Love trip-hop. :)

edit: BTW, this has been bothering me. What exactly would you define as being "Trip-Hop". There are so many genres and so many different takes on them...but what is trip hop to you? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
freshpow said:
I'll be in this forum quite a bit. Love trip-hop. :)

edit: BTW, this has been bothering me. What exactly would you define as being "Trip-Hop". There are so many genres and so many different takes on them...but what is trip hop to you? :)

I'll say that its bits and pieces to me. It is basically a downtempo beat driven music with various influences. Trip hop musicians/producers in early 90s were not afraid of electronica influences. At that time hip-hop producers were literally afraid of anything with synthetic sound in it. And trip hoppers at that time were incorporating raps, singers and even choirs into their music. New UK/Bristol scene was musically ahead of US at that time.

So, it is a colage of everything. Sampling, programming, playing.. one second lasting phrases, vinyl clicks, clumsy drumloops, rainy and foggy atmosphere.

Okay the reason I asked about what everyone's idea of "trip-hop" is.....is because I went to a site for trip hop and didn't see Boards of Canada. Now, Boards of Canada has a lot of hip hop sounds in it...just dark and creepy. So I thought that maybe this is what catapulted it into the "trip-hop" genre. Perhaps it's more dance...but it seems far too off-kilter rythmically and far to slow as well. Whatdya think, people? :)

Whoa! New forum! I'm not sure what Trip Hop is, but this should be really interesting! I guess FP is on a road to perfection! Thanks Mano!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Wals Kronkite said:
Now how about a "beat-making video forum" :victory:!!!
Naw, we already got a thread with over a hundred posts, it'll be dumb to have a forum dedicated to something that can be handled in one thread...We're straight with that one thread...

is Prefuse 73 triphop?

i kinda thought that triphop has been sort of an "dead" genre for a while...i even remember someone calling Dido as triphop...?

Prime Suspekt said:

Naw, we already got a thread with over a hundred posts, it'll be dumb to have a forum dedicated to something that can be handled in one thread...We're straight with that one thread...

Too bad that on that one thread, most all of the good and interesting links are dead or dying and that one thread has run on for way too long with pages full of blunder and just idle talk with, making it very hard to find the videos which actually interest the thread's readers.

I think of trip-hop as a genre which will someday escalate into the mainstream as a form of POP, and will still maintain the hop label, but will not often be thought of as a form of actual rap or hip hop as it is more electrical and, in my opinion, broad in sound. Not to say that it is not a good genre, but I don't find it that interesting.

1005 said:
is Prefuse 73 triphop?

i kinda thought that triphop has been sort of an "dead" genre for a while...i even remember someone calling Dido as triphop...?

It's funny that you mention Prefuse 73. Scott Herren is, in my opinion, a genius. :) His music is what I've always thought of as "trip" or "glitch-hop" It's chopped up, rhythmic, and all over the place...but underneath the beautifully orchestrated sonic blips and bloops are hip hop influences. Mostly his basslines and beats that hint overtones of his hip-hop roots. :)

Wals Kronkite said:

Too bad that on that one thread, most all of the good and interesting links are dead or dying and that one thread has run on for way too long with pages full of blunder and just idle talk with, making it very hard to find the videos which actually interest the thread's readers.
Well, the same thing is gonna happen if we had a "Betmaking Video" forum...I mean how much videos can be posted until that forum dies?

Wals Kronkite said:
I think of trip-hop as a genre which will someday escalate into the mainstream as a form of POP, and will still maintain the hop label, but will not often be thought of as a form of actual rap or hip hop as it is more electrical and, in my opinion, broad in sound. Not to say that it is not a good genre, but I don't find it that interesting.

I respectfully disagree. :)

Trip hop has a sound, that I believe, lends itself more to personal enjoyment than by the masses. I love to listen to Prefuse 73 on my headphones or even in my car...but the second someone else hears it they are like..."what is this crap?".

I think that's hilarious because I heard Prefuse 73 used in a commercial. Not edited whatsoever. Just one of his tracks dubbed over this commercial about some hip hop show.

Which brings me to my last idea. I think trip hop may be embraced...but by a different audience. I think it's definitely geared more to the short attention span marketing approach. Perhaps that's why I love it. Not to mention it makes sense to put a trip hop track over a 30 second tv commercial.

It grabs your attention....and holds you there. :)

The following is a quote from the ishkur's guide to electronic music website:

"Trip hop aka db hop, Brit hop

The British music press really only call it this. Everywhere else it's just seen as another welcome addition to the post-hip hop, downtempo breakbeat movement. Everything ambienty and jazzy included. Only this is reeeeeeeaaaaaalllly slooooooooooowww, with female vocals that don't sing insomuch as they just droll around like they quaffed too many quaaludes. Bristol seems to churn out artists the way Seattle churns out grunge bands. I don't find it as fun as the others, though. Leave it to the brits to dullify yet another promising strain of music."

hm.. LOL

i like to listen to Massive Attack though!

--

Yeah...well that definition seems very narrow in it's explanation. It seems like every definition of a genre is either too broad or too narrow to put into proper perspective. I disagree with it...but nice to hear someone else's take on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back