Vocalists

T

taygo0o

I'm pretty new to producing, but I was just curious about how having vocals in a song works. Do people usually compose the song first, and then have the vocalist come up with lyrics based off of the song? Or are the lyrics usually around first, and the song comes up based off of the lyrics?

There is no usually. It's whatever and however it works out. Sometimes people write music and lyrics at the same time and make adjustments to both as they roll along.
There's a huge part of electronic music that is based on remixing and slapping new music behind acapellas.
But many writers like to get the basic music, write to that and then the music is arranged/edited/added to to follow the writing.

many writers like to get the basic music, write to that and then the music is arranged/edited/added to to follow the writing.

I think this method works best so you can really bring out the vocals - I truly believe the whole point of making a remix is to bring out the singer's talent and make it as uplifting or groovy as possible!

Depends. You can flesh out the song if there's a verse, chorus, break etc then build it from there.

For me, It always works best to get the main melody and rhythm of the song done, then have the vocalist and writer come over and work on vocals as I complete the song. That way we can work together to make a hit.

I usually work on vocals last. This has a lot to do with not wanting to get into warping the vocals too early and to create some space in the mix to let them sit well.

I have a friend who says that he always starts making the music first, and that hewill get to a point in the song, where in his head, he feels like there should be vocals. And he kind of imagines the vocals while he makes the music to match it but he actually adds them at the very end with adjustments depending on how the song turned out

Back