Too many sub genres!

Merlin K

Whats up guys?

Long story short I'm a producer first transitioning into DJ'ing.

I came from making trap (rap) beats and used to hate on EDM, but I'm finding out that I like certain genres. And for a "party" dancing time what more could you ask for than some high fidelity synths and bass on a 4/4 beat?

Anyway, how did you guys become knowledgeable in the different genres of EDM? How can you hear a song and go oh that's "minimal" that's "progressive" "deep house" big room, etc etc. ?

I realized that when I got into trying to make beats and sell them for money, and I started to really study the hip hop industry, it made me hate music or something. I just stopped listening. I have a lot to learn about DJ'ing and I'm hoping in the search for what I determine to be spin-able tracks I can rediscover a nice love for music...or something.

After a while you realize that with really specific sub-genres actually do all sound the same. Listen to a 'future bass' mix or a 'progressive house' mix and there are lots of things in common between the tracks.

It's not that hard to listen to a mix if you want to learn more about what a genre is, after a short while. If you listened to one mix a week you'd have great knowledge within a few months

After a while you realize that with really specific sub-genres actually do all sound the same. Listen to a 'future bass' mix or a 'progressive house' mix and there are lots of things in common between the tracks.

It's not that hard to listen to a mix if you want to learn more about what a genre is, after a short while. If you listened to one mix a week you'd have great knowledge within a few months

That's the idea I was getting. It's really all the same. Maybe one genre has a few specific synths that are go-to sounds. Future house has that wobbly, modulated saw type chord synth and pluck bass a lot--etc.

Then it's the structure of the tracks.

Most subgenres are just marketing ploys.
Your label sounds a whole lot more relevant to some people if you can claim to be the home/inventor of 'future-whatever' and not be the millionth regular old house label.
Also if you push hard enough, you might even get Beatport and such to open up an entirely new genre chart, just for your little 'genre'.

The subgenres are a good thing imo. The scene is already a mess and i need some order in the chaos. :P
Im listening allot on Glitch and all around it. Ive noticed that many of the genres in that category is good to have, made it easier to find what i like. ^^
Still, there is soooo many musicians now days, its a cluster f*ck, haha.

You can tell alot of genres apart by BPM, or styles of synths used, and production technique aka using 808 in a Trap banger, vs a Electro House song that lays a faster four beat pattern down at a 128ish bpm range.
Also just listening to sub generes by serching for songs in that sub catagory to chill too. it's not too hard.

I think this started being a problem waaaay early on. I think there'll always be a new subgenre for ppl to flock to so either A) they think they are listening to something unheard of before, most of the time, they're not really, it's just recycled really well. Or B)People can get bored or whatever of the current state of a scene. so ppl will start hitting off club nights where they're playing hte new type of music just because it's something fun, new and it really sounds cool.
It gets played out anyways within 5 years, LOL.

Back