So many Sub genres!!

R

RavinAsian

I've been a "electronica" music fan for some time now. However, I've never truely understood the difference in each of the sub genres in it like House, Trance, etc... And also within those are even more subcategories such as in Trance there is hardcore, dream, etc... Who made up sooooo many categories and whats the difference??

I think you should listen carefully to a Jungle track, and then to a trance one, etc.. If you know a little bit about rythm and sound, you'll understand the difference.

Genres...

Okay, I like to think of genre definition as a speciality of mine but really I only know about the genres I've heard a lot of. Makes sense I guess. Here's my brief (probably long) definition of genre's falling between the 'dance' or brackets (electronica is a genre is it's own right):

dance music
  • house
    • trance
    • goa
    • deep house
    • disco house
    • hard house
    • dream house
  • drumnbass
    • jungle
    • darkstep
    • hardstep
    • techstep
    • jazzstep
    • chill-out
    • ambient
    • jump-up
  • garage
    • garage
    • 2step garage [uk garage]
    • soul garage
    • speed garage
  • techno
    • hardcore techno
  • hardcore
    • speedcore
    • hardcore
    • olskool/rave
    • happycore
    • gabber
  • electronica
    • breakbeat
    • triphop

Okay, this lot took me half an hour to come up with. I'm sure I've missed some really obvious ones and some not-so-obvious ones so email me or sumfin so I can make the modifications! :)

duffy@deejays.co.uk

Laters,

[Edited by In-Effect on 09-02-2000 at 09:43 AM]

Hehehe good work In-Effect ! :cool:

You forgot : triphop

And I wouldn't put ambient and chill-out under the drumnbass genre...ambient existed since a very very long time (remember Tangerine Dream, Brian Eno, ...).
Ambient is a real one genre...

my 2 cts !

Unfinished business...

Good observations, Nook :)

Ambient and chill-out are names of sub-genres used when describing particular styles of dnb and I acknowledge that there are individual genre called ambient and chill-out.

I didn't get to finish the post yesterday as I did it from work - the original post I was replying to asked what the difference between the genres was and I was gonna try and describe each one. Time to make some modifications ;)

Laters,

[Edited by In-Effect on 09-02-2000 at 09:42 AM]

I wouldn't consider trance under House. Trance has started to really branch out and has its own genre now. Wouldn't you think so???

Trance sucks

Nah mate - trance started under house and it'll stay there. For example, hard house goes under 'house' because of the name and because of the origins. The way it sounds is closer to trance than it is to house so I think it's easier to keep them where they are.

If you look at the main genre headings, each one has it's own obviously distinctive sound (apart from the garage section which could conceivably go under house). What I mean is, if you were to describe trance in terms of style, it fits best under house than any of the other genres and it's no way near distinctive enough to justify making it a separate genre in it's own right.

D'ya get me?

Laters,

Re: Trance sucks ( - not!)

1) Trance is the best thing to hit germany and later the rest of the world in the 90's.
2) I actually used to be a strictly rock fan, but this music changed my life. No other style than the real european trance has such a tremendous atmosphere and way of making your mind go while still keping you moving in the blitzlights.
It is the ultmate genre in my oppinion, and if you want to place by origin, you must agree that house should be placed right under the ugly 70's disco tunes. "Carwash!" - "Carwash!" Oh my god.
Beside: Even though house was first, the real trance started in germany as a subgenre of hardcore in the beginning of the 90's/late 80's. It was musicians who wanted to do more with their turntables than that clean techno sound and they added their Korg synthsounds to the beat and soon after came the first characteristics of trance. Artists: Cosmo, Nexxus, Space Cube.
2 years later came Belgium Techno wich is maybe what you are thinking of: a mix of house-beats with powerfull synthstabs, often confused as "the start of trance". This genre started in the UK by house and acid Dj's inspired by the new european style - Trance. The artist includes:
Such as: the three first sixteens of the beat played in ine tune and the third of them lasting for 2 sixteens.
Artists: T.99, Praga Khan, The B-Sides.
Sincerely Dj Chriss
http://www.mp3.com/ChrissT

Back