rant about the influx of roided up and bimbo pinger heads into electronic

nqcowboy87

i care about music, electronic whatever genre you want to use or if you want to use the dreaded edm tag is not really my first choice, i am a metal/postgrunge fan that has become a fan of electronic music over the years from listening to my cousins music such as the prodigy, roni size, bt asian dub foundation,, the presets flume etc. my problem is that im keen to add to my repertoire and make electronic music, but not too sound up myself, i care how a song is written, recorded, produced and if i had the money none of my softawre would be free, id by myself a bunch of good hardware such as some good analog compressors, would infuse electronic music with some live instrumentation (i reckon an elctronic beat with emotive slide guitar over the top would be sick). i dont have the money for any of that and am slowly over two years grasping the fundamentals of electronic music production but am still a way off. my problem is now so many people who are getting into production for the lifestyle and not doing it for the love of the craft of music. i refer to the bros an hoes who see all the generic "stars" out there such as guetta, afrojack, will sparks martin garrix, then go out and buy traktor then claim to be a dj/producer. the main problem i have is ive seen a few of these types of people leapfrog me and have managed to score some pretty good gigs, without seeming to care. like i see a few videos of friends of friends and acquaintaces show videos of them prepping for gigs by mashing two songs together while sitting on the verandah or in the car without seemingly listening to the song with good monitoring hardware (laptop speakers). i dont know im just really frustrated with my lack of progress despite how much time and effort ive invested. i dont want to be a generic button pusher, id love to bring live instrumentation into like disclosure and the prodigy do, its just watching other people who dont seem to care as much rise to the top over you is frustrating

end rant

Last edited by a moderator:
thing is there will always be posers who make it and grafters who don't - the name of the game is entertainment 1st, business 2nd and content 3rd; if you can't produce the entertainment aspect then it doesn't matter if you have the other parts of the equation or not: no-one will buy something they do not find entertaining

ignore the posers and do you: you will sleep better at night and you will also improve because you are no longer worried about competing with people who don't share your value system

I know the frustration you feel, I really do. But as bandcoach said, you don't need to be on the same page as those people, or compare to them. do your thing and be happy with it. there's a fad on electronic music scene now, and everyone think they can get what they want without sweating over a computer/DAW. It has been like this forever.

I don't produce danceable music and I don't care if people will listen to it or not.

People are animals, they respond to simple stimuli.

Being an artist, being famous and making lots of money are all completely different. Doing all three usually requires some compromise.

the main problem i have is ive seen a few of these types of people leapfrog me and have managed to score some pretty good gigs, without seeming to care. like i see a few videos of friends of friends and acquaintaces show videos of them prepping for gigs by mashing two songs together while sitting on the verandah or in the car without seemingly listening to the song with good monitoring hardware (laptop speakers).

Why not try that for a while to see how far you go? If you think it is easy and is effective, then be a poser for a while. Once you get established, go back into what you love and make the music you want to make. You will already have a fanbase and some name recognition.

I'd like to answer this with my traditional rant about: Stop being like a rock fan where certain kinds of music are related to certain kinds of people and have an automatic value judgement attached to it.

What I like about electronic is that it doesn't need a band, a frontman, elaborate stageshows and some dumb fashionable image attached to it, which can then be considered cool or uncool by people who have the need to be validated in their tastes and opinions. It's faceless, formless and constantly shapeshifting.
Stop acting like a rock connaisseur and trying to platonize (eg. divide in subgenres) what can't be divided and is essentially and ongoing empirical worldwide dialogue of sound. If that's what you want, you'll be much more at home in the metal scene, or discussing jazz with middleaged, upper middleclass white men.
Stop worrying about what MTV is doing and what music is being played at spring break parties you wouldn't attend anyway and join the conversation..

Back