Question: house VS trance?....

well..

I love drum&bass and house, and some techno (also tech-house but that's a ridicilous name, you know just something like soma between techno and house)
but I don't like trance because it's so cliché
always the same stupid breakdowns and melodies!

tbh that is not true at all, people drop an E (or even sell them to make money) to put themselves in the mood because trance is such an uplifting and energetic genre (and of course making new friends too whilst trippin on E). if people find some bits of trance boring then they shouldn't even bother listening or dancing to it. Another thing to note, it's not just the trance scenery or the hard dance scenery of where people are dropping E. it's also the house music scene too and also the techno scene because in the end they're all part of electronical dance music. However not everyone takes drugs in these sceneries

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Define Real music?

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Right an Irish mans view.....Go on, say it!

House music and trance are like chalk and cheese.
The reason being is that house music is based on REAL music. It is a progression from your standard 70's funk music and has kept that 'real' sound. Where as Trance is based on synths and 'fake' sounds. Don't get me wrong I love synths and the make up of music but I'm just making the point.

I also think that House music is always a bit more 'inteliigent' in that it is very clever music and put together with the utmost care and effort. I could string together a trance song in 30 minutes. When I go at a house tune it can take up to a month to sort and perfect.

At the end of the day, there is a lot of trance songs that make me go weak at the knees but, on a whole, Trance is a little boring (to me). Whereas house music just makes you groove non stop.

but lads, it don't matter cause music is the answer!

Um fyi trance & house they're both electronically made (synths,programs & computers etc) so therefore they both part of music....I mean real music

a controversial theory I've heard, but tend to agree with..like a few others said...trance has no "soul". Its grooveless and and not sexy. It's dance music for northern Europeans, created by northern Europeans. Everything is on the 1st and the 3rd. There's no shuffle, groove, no syncopation. Nothing "African" about it.

As others have stated, it wasn't always like that, especially in the mid 90s with BT, Faithless, Sasha & Digweed, Bedrock

Actually that's not really true firstly trance is not ment to have groove it's ment to have energy & euphoria. Secondly it's not made by northern europeans it's made by europeans but these days it's not restricted to just europeans because there are other artists from other countries that are making and playing trance (eg sean tyas from the US, followed by tydi from australia etc). Lastly it does have soul, but it's a different kind of soul...it's really all about the melodies as well as the tempo. all forms of electronical music has soul but it in a different way. house emits the soul through it's groove and funk but trance emits it with it's melodies and it's drum beats. I agree with what others are saying about trance back in the old days (90s to early 2000) but they're being nostalgic. but as a whole electronical music has evolved because the technology has evolved therefore in house & trance you do hear different sounds because the artists themselves are being creative with their sounds. progressive trance has a bit of housey sounds but the melodies are still trancey. electronical music is evolving fast so no matter what nostalgic trance or house addicts will say it won't change the fact that electronical music is growing rapidly with different sounds but keeping the bpm the same.

Last edited:
As a fan of both genre´s iv´e given this a lot of thoughts.
I think that trance nowdays lost abit of is passion it´s going more towards house but with same build as trance. I mean lower BPM, more variated bacelinies with som wobble and stuf. I think it has lost some of it´s ways. Trance has never been for the "easy listner". It must have a 2min buildup, a cooldown folowed by a cresendo. The song has to have a meaning, a beuty and everything has to be perfect to really stand out. Such tracks are still maid by a few.

House is much more mainstream. It´s easy listning and sound cool, like my girlfriend says..
There are som house music like "Tim Berg - Bromance" Wich incorperate beuty to house music, and there are artists like David Guetta who make hit after hit but ther´e is no beuty or tecnique in his work. The songs are just right and loved by millions of those easy listners. And then there is artist who really stand out like Deadmau5 & Skrillex who make the house more towards drum n bace sound. I think they are all great especally Swedish Housemaffia, becose they have a cool sound. If u compere House to trance they like cats and dogs. They differ to much and people tend to listen to more easy listning music. They dont want to wait 2 minits for crap wich much of the trance feels like. But if u really really listen to trance u feel the story and the beuty of it, and that is wat it´s all about. Like i said before, there are housmusic wich i find to be in a similar spot but it is much more easy listning like "Tim Berg - Bromance"

The winner is allways the easy listner, loved by millions and millions. It just have to sound cool and easy to dance to on the clubs, and they have to have a vocal line. The artist who make the most beutifull songs or coolest arrangement will never come first, becouse there so many people who dont understand it.

I don´t know if this came out right.. :)

I haven't consciously listened to any modern trance music so I'm listening to some Above and Beyond, someone who's production I've always admired. It's very well made, well produced, very ethereal...but I don't really connect with it.

Now listening to the legendary Sanctuary mix of Silence by Delirium ft Sarah McLachlan, which I liked quite a bit back then. It's more minimal than Above and Beyond, and theres more polyrhythms going on which makes it more interesting for me.

Maybe what ruined trance for me was the early 2000s when it was everywhere..DJ Sammy, Heaven, Ian Van Dahl Castles In The Sky..the more cheeseball stuff that was highly accessible and on the radio and I just recoiled from it. That same gated trance sequence, that same two note octave bass, those same pads, and as I say again, Groove-less and sex-less, but thats not what the genre is about probably.

Of course commercial house has the Guetta's and Dave Aude's and such.

I do remember older trance..Paul Van Dyk, BT, Sasha and Digweed, Jam and Spoon..it all seemed really well produced.

I guess growing up 30 miles outside of Chicago, house was just inescapable.

House to dance

Trance to feel.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Check out my house track! F4F

Trance bores the hell out of me. It's so slow, I feel like I'm listening music that you're supposed to be smoking to. House is crunked up though, I enjoy it! :D I find it funky, and upbeat. Still I will always think the best form of EDM is Dubstep. (The real kind of dubstep.)

drum-related-terms.jpg
annnnnd
bass2.jpg

well i think that the house music is easier to listen cuz it doesn't have those looong breakdowns and when you listen to trance you gotta listen and feel the emotion throughout the song and lazy listeners hate trance but i love both of them simply because i find them useful in my musical life and my moods...

I like both house and trance, but house has always appeald to me far more then Trance has ever done.. There is something that feels more fun with proddin' house music, I feel that the genre is more wide "do what you want" in creating, and also it's a big hype with it right now which makes it more appealing, and having fun making music that people like to listen to is always nice^

....it was invented by corporations to blow out car speakers so you have to buy new ones....thats what happened to me and now im a full time conspirasist

Haha, ur right as H. Then again, wouldn't you expect this type of thing from a genre of music called "Drum and BASS"

personally i prefer trance to house, i like the steady rythyms and uplifting chord progressions in trance personally

Back