Overrated DJ's!!! WTF is going on?

S

sapperdaddy

I cant post links cuz i dnt have the 20 posts i need but check the dj mag top 100 dj's in the world list.

Are you ****ing serious with this list? Most of these DJ's are overrated as **** and it really pisses me of that media and dumb ppl support this kind of shit most of these dj's were good once and now theyre just an image or a memory of what they once were. Ppl you need to stop supporting these assholes there is so much talent in the underground and dj's with with so much potential trying to come up but they cant cuz ppl keep supporting all these dj's that havent done shit in the past 10 years.

1.david guetta- david is one smart dj/producer and hes done a really good job when it come to advertise himself and give ppl what they want.now these douchebag has been djing for like 30 years and can someone tell me who the **** was david guetta before he became famous in the united states? It was 2001 or 2002 when guetta started featuring songs with americans that already had a name in music and if it wasnt for the ppl he worked with he would still be unknown in a lot of places and he wouldn't had the career he had.
dnt get me wrong i admire this guy and i think hes is really smart,talented and hes done good in his carreer.now is he the best dj in the world? **** no! not even close.

2.Armin van buuren- i really dnt have anything bad to say about this guy this is one of the few dj's/music producers who's been working his ass off since day 1.he has done so much for the electronic music world it's unbelieveable and he has revolutionized music ( trance/techno) so much with his talent and hardwork its great to have ppl who loves music as much as this guy. One problem i've noticed about him is that he is not the worlds most versatile dj/music producer and he constantly repeats himself but other than that this guy is awesome and i think he deserves a spot in the top of the list.

3.Dj tiesto- being a huge fan of his work is hard for me to bash on tiesto but the truth is that tiesto is just an image and a memory of what hes done in the past tiesto has been remixing himself over and over again for the past 10 years if not 15 years. He is so commercial that he cant even be original no more, right now all he does is turn already made tracks (from movies,shows and other producers and djs)and turn them into trance/techo/house with the same ****ing beats and thats exactly what a dj is suppossed to do mix and remix but to be great in this bussiness u have to produce your own product something ties to has been lacking in for a while.

4.Deadmau5- now this guy really pisses me off and specially ppl who idolize him. I got so much shit to talk about this guy its not gonna fit here but this is all i got to say:take the ****ing mask off and all the fancy equipment he uses and youll notice hes not as entertaining as u think he is,his songs are repeatative and boring and pretty much lifeless not including that most of his hits have been with the collaboration of other ppl (kaskade,rob swire/pendulum).this guy is extremly smart and he knows exactly what he is doing when it comes to sell himself but his music is garbage. This guy is an entertainer not a musician.

5.Above and beyond- i really dnt even kno who the **** they are but from what i've heard they been playing the same shit since 2002. I think they just been at the right place at the right time when it comes to live performing.they've been in couple of the biggest electronic music festivals in The east side of the world that had exclusive lineups and the worlds best djs,i think not too many ppl would pay to just to see them cuz they really lack in originallity and versatillity.they might be known in the east side of the world but they are nobodies in america and all theyre work so far are just featurings which makes me believe they wouldnt even be close to be where they at today by themselves.

Thats just the top 5 i can be here talking shit about all 100 of them but i know you all get the point. You all welcome to share your opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Trillosopher, the top 100 DJmag list is a public voted list, not some writers opinion...

I'll start by saying I do agree with you that there's a lot of really good talent in the underground scene. It is really hard for new producers to get started and be successful at it.

However those DJs at the top of the list deserve to be there without a doubt. If they were at all boring, not entertaining or produced shitty music, they wouldn't be at the top. Just because some of them are old and have been in the scene forever doesn't mean a thing. Armin, Testio, Above and Beyond specifically are the old, but continue to keep producing amazing music. If you lived in Europe, you would know a huge percent of people enjoy trance music.

Really just for the fact you've never heard of Above and Beyond tells me you haven't been in the Electronic music scene for very long. These guys, just like Tiesto and Armin have revolutionized not just trance, but electronic music in general.

Everyone has their opinion. I went to a Armin Only show in 2010, since then I haven't heard anything that great from him. Tiesto has "changed" his image from traditional trance artist, to a electro/house producer. I've liked some of his recent tracks, haven't been to a show recently. Deadmau5, possible one of, if not the most iconic electronic producer ever definitely deserves a spot at the top. His music is far from lifeless, in my opinion it's fresh and original. Part of being a producer is being able to perform live, and like it or not, Deadmau5 does a great job.

I agree with most points in OP, I wonder where Daft Punk is on that list, because these guys have actually produced ORiginal stuff lately. This list truly shows that majority of electronica listeners are sheep. Dude post the link.

Last edited:
Someone has to be the overrated top dog. No matter who they may be, they are doing something right. I think I would trade my non existent profession with one of these guys any day.

That top 100 list is nothing more than a marketing and p.r. gimmick.

Ive seen a david guetta show where his mixer wasn't even turned on , thats how much of a joke he is having.

I cant post links cuz i dnt have the 20 posts i need but check the dj mag top 100 dj's in the world list.

Are you ****ing serious with this list? Most of these DJ's are overrated as **** and it really pisses me of that media and dumb ppl support this kind of shit most of these dj's were good once and now theyre just an image or a memory of what they once were. Ppl you need to stop supporting these assholes there is so much talent in the underground and dj's with with so much potential trying to come up but they cant cuz ppl keep supporting all these dj's that havent done shit in the past 10 years.

1.david guetta- david is one smart dj/producer and hes done a really good job when it come to advertise himself and give ppl what they want.now these douchebag has been djing for like 30 years and can someone tell me who the **** was david guetta before he became famous in the united states? It was 2001 or 2002 when guetta started featuring songs with americans that already had a name in music and if it wasnt for the ppl he worked with he would still be unknown in a lot of places and he wouldn't had the career he had.
dnt get me wrong i admire this guy and i think hes is really smart,talented and hes done good in his carreer.now is he the best dj in the world? **** no! not even close.

2.Armin van buuren- i really dnt have anything bad to say about this guy this is one of the few dj's/music producers who's been working his ass off since day 1.he has done so much for the electronic music world it's unbelieveable and he has revolutionized music ( trance/techno) so much with his talent and hardwork its great to have ppl who loves music as much as this guy. One problem i've noticed about him is that he is not the worlds most versatile dj/music producer and he constantly repeats himself but other than that this guy is awesome and i think he deserves a spot in the top of the list.

3.Dj tiesto- being a huge fan of his work is hard for me to bash on tiesto but the truth is that tiesto is just an image and a memory of what hes done in the past tiesto has been remixing himself over and over again for the past 10 years if not 15 years. He is so commercial that he cant even be original no more, right now all he does is turn already made tracks (from movies,shows and other producers and djs)and turn them into trance/techo/house with the same ****ing beats and thats exactly what a dj is suppossed to do mix and remix but to be great in this bussiness u have to produce your own product something ties to has been lacking in for a while.

4.Deadmau5- now this guy really pisses me off and specially ppl who idolize him. I got so much shit to talk about this guy its not gonna fit here but this is all i got to say:take the ****ing mask off and all the fancy equipment he uses and youll notice hes not as entertaining as u think he is,his songs are repeatative and boring and pretty much lifeless not including that most of his hits have been with the collaboration of other ppl (kaskade,rob swire/pendulum).this guy is extremly smart and he knows exactly what he is doing when it comes to sell himself but his music is garbage. This guy is an entertainer not a musician.

5.Above and beyond- i really dnt even kno who the **** they are but from what i've heard they been playing the same shit since 2002. I think they just been at the right place at the right time when it comes to live performing.they've been in couple of the biggest electronic music festivals in The east side of the world that had exclusive lineups and the worlds best djs,i think not too many ppl would pay to just to see them cuz they really lack in originallity and versatillity.they might be known in the east side of the world but they are nobodies in america and all theyre work so far are just featurings which makes me believe they wouldnt even be close to be where they at today by themselves.

Thats just the top 5 i can be here talking shit about all 100 of them but i know you all get the point. You all welcome to share your opinion!
Jesus Christ fix your grammar , are you 10 years old?

Also about the topic. In my own opinion , music is just a noise, that some group of people like. There can't be bad or good artists. All of them developed their own style. For example , deadmau5 almost by himself created the progressive house genre. Yes his songs is repetitive, but its one of the styles things. You can't just go around telling everyone these producers are shit. Also, everyone has it's own audience. Also, let me tell you what these producers accomplished.
David guetta - Revolutionized pop music, made it more house-like. Also you can't blame him because he's popular, you would've do the same.
Armin van Buren - Dj tiesto - I don't really know much about them .
Deadmau5 - As i said, made progressive house.
Above and Beyond - Made new dubstep-house mixed genre.
So yea, you do can dislike their music and works, but please don't call them shit. All of them accomplished more than you will ever will. They are smarter too.
FYI - Deadmau5, above and beyond doesn't consider themselves dj's. Deadmau5 even made few interviews stating that he's not a dj and bashing dj's.

Last edited:
In my own opinion , music is just a noise, that some group of people like. There can't be bad or good artists. .

I think I understand what you were trying to say. But I disgree with your statement because there are good and very bad artists. What qualifies as a bad artist? Music that is out of key, underproduced, generic, etc. etc. etc. and lets just say anything that can be created with no musical talent. Now let me point out that some generic music makes it popular because of marketing and coverage by the media. This does not qualify them as a good artist. It just points out that much of the media is tone death and fans tend to follow what the media tells them to follow.

Last edited:
The thing is, even music out of key is listened by some people. I know some guys who creates ear-rape and has lot of listeners. Hell, even i when didn't knew any music theory and created ear-rape i was listened to.
So yes, it's totally subjective to the person.

The thing is, even music out of key is listened by some people. I know some guys who creates ear-rape and has lot of listeners. Hell, even i when didn't knew any music theory and created ear-rape i was listened to.
So yes, it's totally subjective to the person.

Yeah well I think that's when it starts becoming something else other than what defines music.

If you don't like who's in the top 5 why don't you get in the top 5?

Brian

i agree on most..but don't hate on deadmau5...not for those reasons at least...he isn't a dj and doesn't claim to be...his music is repetitive for a reason, he wants it to be easy to follow to and danceable..

who above and beyond is idk i didnt really find out who they were till 09 and when i found out who they were i didnt like their shit i still dont

but yea the list is the peoples choice

This list and the (sheep) voters don't distinguish between producer and dj (even if they are doing both).

For the topic procucer:
The threatstarters named producers don't fit my taste but they are succesfull producers in terms of money-making (payola and sell-out pop is a good topic on this at least Guetta).

For the topic DJ:
Coming from turntablism their dj-skills don't convince me, good djing means to me to have the ability making 3 songs out of 2 apart from the scratching game.

I remember a podcast-mix by dj spinbad, he complained that even some guy from mtv's jersey shore (paully d or sth.) had been on the list...

Yes I agree that some of the DJ/Producers are overrated because of their popularity and connections.But without collaborating with famous singers and rappers you cant become popular and this what everyone is trying to do.

I find it really funny when people hate on David Guetta. He had already released his first record when most of us weren’t even born yet. He has own a nightclub and been organizing some of the best parties in Ibiza since then. People hate him because they think he’s doing nothing and other people produce for him. Which is wrong… he did have several producers (like Joachim Garraud) until not long ago, but he does most of his stuff alone these days. He also plays the piano. Before he was doing his production 100% alone he was still the one who came up with melodies, with patterns and textures, with ideas, etc. Basically the creative, and not technical part, of a track. Like many others do as well… Nothing wrong with that.

I’m not a fan of his Snoop Dog collaborations or whatever, but Titanium was really good if you ask me. So stop being a hater. And also stop judging people like Above & Beyond when you „dnt even kno who the **** they are“. I can’t imagine many people are going to take you seriously.

Oh and about this: „who the **** was david guetta before he became famous in the united states?“ Just one of the best known DJs in the world, sorry but there’s not just the United States, in fact there’s many other and many better places out there. It’s not hard to tell you haven’t left your country yet. And yeah, we don’t really care about the US. Nono.

Back