Opinions on skrillex?

Shtuffe

Hi, i'm pretty damn new to this forum, and just wanted to ask: what is your opinion on skrillex?
Other forums i've been to seem to dislike him...alot, so i'm just curious to hear :)

I myself think he makes pretty decent music, but some of his tracks could be made much better.

im not into the new Electro Dubstep fad, but i do like some of the gritty bass stuff from that genre, so as far as any DJ in this new scene: i could care less about. But you should get a feeling about why producers dont like Skrillex, mainly because the genre of DubStep is disliked by many but it has exploded among kids, and somehow Skrillex got famous with it, so there goes the hate from producers: shitty music producers popular? = jelousy + hate

OVerall i think Skrillex makes decent stuff, i proably wouldve loved him if i was into the scene

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes sense...
Another problem with dubstep now, is that it seems as if you must make "skrillex dubstep" to succeed in the genre, if you make the more classic dubstep (excision, datsik e.t.c), you will have a MUCH harder time to get anyone to appreciate your music.

Yeah, that makes sense...
Another problem with dubstep now, is that it seems as if you must make "skrillex dubstep" to succeed in the genre, if you make the more classic dubstep (excision, datsik e.t.c), you will have a MUCH harder time to get anyone to appreciate your music.

Every dubstep song you hear right now sounds identical. Might as well be all Skrillex. I think everyone's gonna try it a little, but I don't see it busting down the doors of Pop music. Those guys are already on that "Get off my genre" mentality, like the world is ruining dubstep for them.

Many people don't consider his stuff to be dubstep. A song that kind of led into the dubstep genre was Midnight Request Line from Skream and that style is so different to Skrillex that some Skrillex fans say MRL and similar tracks isn't dubstep which i guess angers many of the original producers of the genre.

All this chaos about skrillex being and not being dubstep is a lost case.
But yeah, i understand peoples being angry because of misunderstandings liks that. As a fan of metal, i would be really pissed if someone said Death (One of the first death metal bands) weren't death metal, They named the god damn genre.

I think he is good. Good, unique sound. He's also got the rock genre thing going on in his music which is great just like David Guetta mixing hip hop with his music. But nothing new, Daft Punk was already using rock feel to their music as well being from a band prior to producing electronic music. I think he is good but he is quickly becoming very overrated. All in all, good producer so whatever he is doing is obviously working because he is biggest dubstep DJ and came up quickly.

That is true. Whatever he's doing, it is working...But that is because the majority of the listeners just listens to it because it is the music they love, but producers don't like him because they know much more of producing and what defines genres e.t.c.
...If you play a guitar solo using simplified techniques, a non guitarist will be amazed, while a guitarist directly will see that you are cheating.
...But that's just my theory, don't know if it's true or not ;)

You mean Sonny Moore?

sonny-moore--large-msg-119948155509.jpg

Ya ain't no one taking this cat seriously...

Only fans of his are mainstream puppets, teenagers, and people with mental disabilities.

Skrillex is pretty good. I enjoy his music. My favorite though is deadmau5

Ive been listening to Dubstep since Rusko and Skream... skrillex is not dubstep. In reality its some disgusting version of Electronic House. Deadmau5 discovered skrillex by promoting his "popular" album Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. I make dubstep myself (modestly) and have been listening for quite some time. Skrillex is a leader in the makeshift sub-genre "Brostep". Want real american dubstep? Listen to some classic 2007 tracks of DatsiK or Subfocus. But no, skrillex is not a dubstep artist in all reality. Same with Joel Zimmerman (Deadmau5).

Dubstep - Modified Basslines and heavy drums; sometimes includes high pitched synths and vocals; inherited from DnB

Brostep - Highly tuned and modified basslines with way too heavy drums; includes retarded meaningless vocals (e.g. ooooooh yaaaa ah eh eh eh ah ooh ya et et) and horrible synths; frowned upon in the UK

Last edited:
European people hate on any U.S. Producer doing anything electro. Fact. Especially UK people and their coveted dubstep.

Skrillex is for sure more electro-house, but the half-time drums he uses drop him into the Dubstep genre by default in most peoples minds.

Skrillex has been super innovative utilizing multipole heavy synths but combining them in a way that comes together beautifully. Something other people try and do but it doesn't come out nearly as good.

A lot of forums and DJ's hate on him because they are jealous there's no doubt about it.

Somebody (especially an American) did something besides dropping an LFO on a filter on top of some weak ass Bit Reduced wave with some wobbles but instead combined a ton of screams and stabs with it and blew up.

He can play the Piano, Guitar, Drums and sing. He's a great musician and an expert in sound design and that's why every thing comes together so well.

I've seen Datsik, Doctor P, Flux Pavilion, Skrillex, Borgore and many many others and I will add that as a performer he was hands down the best live.

Cue the jealous haters.

European people hate on any U.S. Producer doing anything electro. Fact. Especially UK people and their coveted dubstep.

Skrillex is for sure more electro-house, but the half-time drums he uses drop him into the Dubstep genre by default in most peoples minds.

Skrillex has been super innovative utilizing multipole heavy synths but combining them in a way that comes together beautifully. Something other people try and do but it doesn't come out nearly as good.

A lot of forums and DJ's hate on him because they are jealous there's no doubt about it.

Somebody (especially an American) did something besides dropping an LFO on a filter on top of some weak ass Bit Reduced wave with some wobbles but instead combined a ton of screams and stabs with it and blew up.

He can play the Piano, Guitar, Drums and sing. He's a great musician and an expert in sound design and that's why every thing comes together so well.

I've seen Datsik, Doctor P, Flux Pavilion, Skrillex, Borgore and many many others and I will add that as a performer he was hands down the best live.

Cue the jealous haters.

Your obviously more naive than you sound. Skrillex? Live? He presses a push-and-play ipod hooked up to a mixer. Ooooh... so hard. DatsiK DJ's live, and anywhere he DJ's usually gets good show reviews. But the best live DJ ever will always be Araabmuzik. Skrillex obviously thinks the Apple Macintosh is an instrument. Please dig deeper into your research.

Last edited:
There is always hatred by young producers to guys that have "made it". I have seen so many guys that have done awesome work, go from underground, to popular (and almost always back to underground), gather some level of success, and then be hated by producers that have not made it. There is a great variety of this in EDM, but it's always present, one day its George Acosta, another day its Tiesto, another day its Danny Tengalia, another day its Planet of the Drums, another Day its Skrillex, and then its Deadmau5. I think I have been in the scene long enough to just block out people that call them "Mainstream" or even "Sellouts" or whatever pronoun they wish to use. These are people that decided to put their time and effort in making music and promoting it. I wish them luck for doing an exceptional job of it, and look forward to the next great producer to come out so I can be exposed to something new. I also think that if we focus more on helping each other as producers, and applauding people that support EDM, it will help us avoid the pitfalls of so many past popular genera's that have come and gone.

Your obviously more naive than you sound. Skrillex? Live? He presses a push-and-play ipod hooked up to a mixer. Ooooh... so hard. DatsiK DJ's live, and anywhere he DJ's usually gets good show reviews. But the best live DJ ever will always be Araabmuzik. Skrillex obviously thinks the Apple Macintosh is an instrument. Please dig deeper into your research.

Bahahahaha wow. Are you serious right now?? This is exactly the kind of retarded jealousy going around. Do my research?? Why would a GRAMMY WINNING PRODUCER have to use an iPod for basic live mixing???? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you can produce, mixing is a cake walk. Ask anybody who is an even decent producer.

I've seen Skrillex perform on CDJ's, an APC and an M-Audio interface. And at the bottom is some VIDEO PROOF that you are clearly talking out of your ass buddy.

Around 1:15 he is mixing with a 4 deck mixer and an M-Audio interface set up for clip launching and effects controls mapped to Ableton Live.

Absolutely ridiculous comment. Smh to the fullest.

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=h2LlH94f3tg

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM

Oh and here's another one

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=Fw4jmp3MhD8&feature=related

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM

And if you want me to keep schooling you not only have I seen all of them but I also attended the 2012 Dubstep Music Awards Best Event of the Year. Skrillex Nero 12th Planet and Datsik all played. You're not sick my dude quit being a hater and respect good artists.

It went a little something like this:
youtube[dot]com/watch?v=CUgK_RYjj2o&feature=related

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Dude talkin about "always gets good review" you've probably never even seen any of them live and you have the audacity to be a full blown hater. Come on man it's all love in the EDM world don't put artists down like that. Especially saying dudes like Skrillex can't mix. Shameful. Mixing is child's play to any good producer.

Last edited:
I actually really like Skrillex. Almost as much as I liked Skream when he first came out a few years back.

Skrillex makes dubstep but only one flavor of dubstep. I think he shouldn't be thought of as a dubstep producer, but more of what he classifies himself: EDM producer (a unique one at that). There are many different dubstep styles; everything from dirty ass wobbles to really clean IDM sounding stuff which Skrilly doesn't really get into. I'd definitely be into a completely different style of dubstep if there were anyone out there to create something really new.

All dubstep is, is a tempo and rhythm classification (~140bpm, 4/4 meter, accented 1st and third notes). Really hard to dance to.

I think it's the wrong approach to automatically disqualify Skrillex if you listened to early dubstep. However, I really can't stand when all people do is copy Skrillex's sound. The thing that I originally liked about it was the originality.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I think it's the wrong approach to automatically disqualify Skrillex if you listened to early dubstep. However, I really can't stand when all people do is copy Skrillex's sound. The thing that I originally liked about it was the originality.

**** this, all this thread has drawn is mainstream fanboys. Anyone can LOOK like they're doing something with a turntable or some pioneer CDJ's. Im just gonna call it now, you guys don't know shit of the backbones of Dubstep and DnB.

Last edited:
**** this, all this thread has drawn is mainstream fanboys. Anyone can LOOK like they're doing something with a turntable or some pioneer CDJ's. Im just gonna call it now, you guys don't know shit of the backbones of Dubstep and DnB.
No. I do haha. Just because I like earlier dubstep and love earlier dnb doesn't mean I can't like Skrillex and Noisia.

Btw diggin the vibes in your siggy. Bringin back some sounds I haven't heard in a while :p

Last edited:
Back