melody composition & rhythm programming for discofunk/synthpop

Goute

Hi,

I only turn to a forum for help when I'm really, really stuck, so here I am...
What I'm looking for is an insight into melody composition & rhythm programming for discofunk/synthpop (Hard to name genres these days)

Song example:

I've tried to make something a while back and even though I'm quite happy with it, there's still a huge difference between what I made and what I want to make.. The sound design wasn't the best either..
you can listen to it here if you want to.

I really hope you can help me out here!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like you are too far off what you want. the mix on your track is the only thing letting it down. Everything is too central and there is not enough separation of frequency spaces for each instrument in the mix.

Summary of techniques used in the other tracks seems to be what you have already worked out though

1st track

Starts in the minor and goes to the relative major, so we are left with the diatonic quandary of which key initially

However, C[sup]#[/sup] never appears nor does A[sup]#[/sup] so we are no actually in a traditional major/minor diatonic situation but are in the mixolydian/phrygian dichotomy instead.

I.e. we are in D mixo/B phrygian D-E-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B-C-D

Harmonically it is Bm-Bm-D-Dm for the verse and D-Bm-G-D for the chorus.

Melodically is using the D mixolydian scale

Rhythmically this is straight 80's synth pop

Track 2

Definitely in B minor this time, although B aeolian/natural minor rather than Harmonic minor.

Chordally is a mix of Bm-Em and back

Melodically uses B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B

Bass line is using the early disco walking octaves trick E-E'-F[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]'-E---E-E'- and B-B'-C[sup]#[/sup]-C[sup]#[/sup]'-B---B-B'- etc

Rhythmically this more akin to late 80's Latin American synth pop, strong, driving latino rhythms and percussion

Hmm I'm going to work on that separation of frequency spaces then! I've obviously made the big mistake of thinking I know most about it too soon. If I think about it it's been a while since I last focussed on it!

I guess my knowledge of music theory is still little to none because I don't know most of the things you're talking about.. I'm working on that though.. BUT this is exactly what I asked for and now at least I know my two major aspects that need a lot more hard work :)
Time to study and practice on what you've written.

Thank you so much!

Btw, I just checked out the website in your signature and I like it a lot!!

Last edited:
Back