I Feel Love- the first techno track?

TheAstrolabe

Dubplate Dionysus
Very sad to hear about Donna Summer passing away today. I Feel Love is probably one of the best dance music tracks ever created sounding at least 10 years ahead of its time (made in 1976)

I consider it the first techno track.

Others opinions?

I stumbled across this acapella while going through some files of mine awhile ago and I was stunned at how amazing it sounded. She has such a beautiful voice!

Do you mean Techno the genre of dance music? or are you calling all dance music Techno?

No offence or anything :D

Anyway back to topic, I'd say Donna Summers IFL is one of the big stepping stones that led up to electronic dance music we have today. I wouldn't call it Techno just one of the big song's that is in the roots of Techno, or House or whatever

Last edited:
I'd classify it more as Kraut Pop from the mid-70's, as this is a Georgio Moroder track.

Hardware sequencers, hardware synths being modified in real time no automation except what you could program into the sequencers.

Tangerine Dream was doing the same thing at the same time, and earlier, so it was whole generation thing, as were Kraftwerk

One of the classic dance chord progressions:

I-[sup]b[/sup]III-IV-V-I (C-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-C)

Not to mention the early sequencer experimentalists like Raymond Scott & Delia Derbyshire (here's a bit of early 60s minimal techno) among others - who, of course, weren't doing "dance music" as such, but a lot of the elements have already been explored before someone eventually called it "techno".

Shame about Donna Summer. I'd somehow missed the news.

I'd classify it more as Kraut Pop from the mid-70's, as this is a Georgio Moroder track.

Hardware sequencers, hardware synths being modified in real time no automation except what you could program into the sequencers.

Tangerine Dream was doing the same thing at the same time, and earlier, so it was whole generation thing, as were Kraftwerk

One of the classic dance chord progressions:

I-[sup]b[/sup]III-IV-V-I (C-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-C)

Italio-Disco?

Im in my 30s, and I'm not one of those people who call all electronic music "techno" :) And when I think the beginnings of techno, i think the boys in Detroit..Derrick May, Juan Atkins, and Kevin Saunderson.

Yes it is highly arguable if you can call I Feel Love the first techno song. But at least it was a progenitor. Yes, Giorgio was the masters of the control, but it was Donna summers soulful/sultry vocals (improvised on the spot) is how it reached millions.

But how I think of early techno...the fusing of Black American soul with the Electronic sounds and precision of European synth music, I Feel Love falls under that for me.

Back