Hardware synths & recording help

Sequence2

I purchased an access virus synth about a year ago. Absolutely love it!
It has SO much more to offer in regards to modulating sounds and creating crazy electronic tones compared to your average $150 software synth

BUT

I am finding it extremely difficult to record sounds into my DAW (Ableton)
I constantly find myself trapped in these situations where I create a melody or catchy pattern on my Midi keyboard, then I go to record it into my DAW. It ends up sounding semi-decent and often requires some editing which is where quantize comes in. Now this is where the problem beings:

You can either A) insert warp markers to make subtle changes or B) quantize the whole melody. The problem with either of these options (I find) is that I will have delay/ reverb/LFO's modulating the sound in which I am trying to record. By moving warp markers or quantizing the melody, the sound then becomes distorted as the sound is adjusted. it's as if the delay and/or reverb/ LFO's just make sudden stops within the sound which completely ruins the whole vibe of my melody(As I am trying to get it to correspond to the 4/4 kick). Super frustrating!

I was wondering if anyone had any tips in order to avoid this problem..? :S

I was thinking of training my ears/ hands with the metronome so I play to the right BPM and get everything in exactly the right position. Although the latter seems like the best option for me right now.. I was wondering if there are any other options?(This option seems like a very time consuming.. but it would make sense.. I assume producers 10-20yrs ago did it this way??)

Back