Electronic music DVDs

kadooka

Cutoff productions©
hey just wondering if anyone knows of some good electronic music dvds. I already have Better Living Through Circuitry.

whats warp vision about, u got a link of what the cover looks like, maybe a site that sells it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a link in my previous post :)

It's basically just a compilation of all music videos from Warp Records artists from 1989 to 2004. Serves as a pretty nice overview of the evolution of "experimental electronics" as well as Warp's roster...

...not to mention there's a bunch of amazing videos/songs in there.

Spike Jones.
Michel Gondry.
Chris Cunningham.
Zen TV DVD. (Ninja Tune Records DVD)

These are must see DVD's.

The Gondry/Jones/Cunningham dvds are part of a series called Directors Label - the next four parts will cover the works of Anton Corbijn, Jonathan Glazer, Mark Romanek and Stéphane Sednaoui. Beautiful stuff. Lots of various genres of music, not strictly electronic though.

203933.jpg

213588.jpg

"Scratch" - A great Day in Turntablism

This is a great documentary about turntablism...it's got an awesome part with DJ Shadow diggin.

Groove was sorta hot for a hot minute.. now i just wanna punch polywogg in the face. another one was human traffic. thats my favorite.

NONFICTION

Modulations
Gives a rather abridged explanation of the history of Electronic music. Goes over such topics as the very beginning of Electronic music: invention of the Moog synthesizer, Pierre Henry and his concept of musique concrete, Karl Stockhausen, John Cage; the birth of House music in Chicago and NY; the beginning of Electro (Kraftwerk, Bambaataa); and much more. There's even a book that goes along with the documentary, which I recommend over the DVD.

Scratch
Explains the origin of turntablism and the scratch. Interviews dozens of stars including Q-Bert, Mixmaster Mike, etc.

Better Living Through Circuitry
Not the best documentary out there, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Features a wide range of interviews with all the people involved in the rave scene: party-goers, promoters, and the DJs and artists themselves. You get to hear from Crystal Method, BT, Kraftwerk, DJ Spooky, Meat Beat Manifesto, Electric Skychurch, and many many more.

Intellect
If nothing else, the second disc of this DVD has a really great tutorial for bedroom DJs. Nigel Richards gives his own tips and tricks on DJing (beatmatching, marketing yourself, etc), he's quite the character! The first disc is chock full of interviews with stars such as Miguel Migs, Phil K, Paul van Dyk, etc. etc. etc. Each give their own insight on being a performer.

American Massive
Released off Moonshine Records, this gives you the perspective of certain Moonshine artists that were on the Overamerica Tour a couple years back (Keoki, Dave Aude, Micro, Frankie Bones, etc). Not highly recommended as the DVD's main purpose is not to teach you something about Electronic music but rather to promote the artists on the Moonshine label.

Global Underground: Transmission 001
Probably my least favorite documentary related to Electronic music. Similar to American Massive, it follows around famous DJs while they're on tour, only this time they're British and on the Global Underground label. If you're big fans of Sasha, Danny Tenaglia, Dave Seaman, Nick Warren, etc. you might be thrilled to see these guys speak on camera. Otherwise, the content is relatively poor. There's a Transmission 002 but I have not seen it.

Maestro
To be released in August. I have not seen this but am looking very forward to it. Maestro explains the origin and history of House music. My guess is that it will feature interviews with DJs primarily born and bred in Chicago and New York.

FICTION

Groove
Follows the adventures and misadventures of four average middle-class people at a rave. Each are at different levels of experience with the rave scene: the newbie, the two regulars, and the girl who is ready to move on with her life. Takes place on location in San Francisco. Features a John Digweed cameo. Fantastic soundtrack!

Human Traffic
Soundtrack provided by Pete Tong. Five youthful British clubbers embark on the ultimate weekend experience. This is like the UK version of Groove, only much funnier and light-hearted. Features a Carl Cox cameo.

Go
The rave in this movie is not really the plot's focus but, rather, acts as a backdrop. Very well written and directed, the stories of the characters intertwine into rather hilarious situations.

... I'm sure there are dozens of more movies related to Electronic music: Stark Raving Mad, Party Monster, Rise, It's All Gone Pete Tong, etc. I haven't seen these or heard anything about them so I can't give an honest opinion.

I just rented a new release called Moog, which is a documentary on Robert Moog, the creator of the influential Moog synthesizer. Even if you didn't know anything about the subject, you could guess how much this machine added to the development and growth of Electronic music; it was unveiled in the 1960s. Very disappointing DVD, I knew almost nothing new about him or his invention by the end. The interviews were just plain terrible. NOT recommended.

Last edited:
darin epsilon said:
I just rented a new release called Moog, which is a documentary on Robert Moog, the creator of the influential Moog synthesizer. Even if you didn't know anything about the subject, you could guess how much this machine added to the development and growth of Electronic music; it was unveiled in the 1960s. Very disappointing DVD, I knew almost nothing new about him or his invention by the end. The interviews were just plain terrible. NOT recommended.

I suggest reading Analog Days instead :)

Back