Drums sound so much better.

Dannymix

I produce Dance music mainly Trance/House, I can spend quite a while trying to get my Roland JV1080 drums to fit in with the music
but never sound as good as the pro Trance tracks on radio/CD e.c.t.

Where do these drum patterns get programed and where do the drum sounds come from? If they are all from a sampler how come they sound so much better than a synths drums?

use compression.

I'd say ask this same question in the Recording, Composing or Synthesizer forums instead (but not in all of them!) - you'll prolly get a better answer there.

well when you sequence your tracks in cubase (or equiv.), you can easily sequence each hit separately, and then capture those separately again as audio tracks... then mute the midi tracks and youre now ready to add some insert effects on each track... compressor, maximizer, limiter, etc...etc...

all the good stuff... it answers your original question of applyinge ffects ot individual hits.

this is how I do it. I use the drums which ship with the Xv3080. I cna make them really hard and punchy with effects.

hope this helps

mmh I use lots of samples which I've collected over the years, I would suggest a synth / sampler with fast envelopes, that really makes a difference (you'll get a snappier punchier sound), like the virus or waldorf's drum synth

Yea Iv been converting MIDI tracks into audio for a while now maybe im using the wrong plugins for the job. it just seem im spending far to long on the rythem just to get it sound ok but not fantastic. Just when I think iv got it I hear a track I like and then I know just how far I am from the quality I want, "Maybe Im expecting too much from a home studio?

Dannymix said:
Maybe Im expecting too much from a home studio?
Nonsense! You just need to process your drums more. Want to cheat a little? Use a sampler or soft sampler (I use Halion) and take one-hits of drums that are already processed! For example, at the beginning or end of trance tracks, you'll often find the kick on it's own for a couple of bars. Use it! All the compression's already done for you and you know it should sound good on a big system.
Also, you can find a ton of good one-hit percussion sounds on the internet which you can download. I never really found a kick I liked on the net, but there's tons of good hats, claps, snares, and any other percussion you can think of. Once you've got the sounds, the rest is up to you!

MusickMan said:
get something else for drums, the JV1080's drum sounds are really cheesy, sure you can edit them but they are not good enough....

- Well, he said he wanted to make trance, didn't he?;)

your best bet is just to download drum packs theres 100s of place to download drums, its the only thing ill sample is single drum hits, the rest is my own work.
Try layering various hits, u also need to compress tracks and master too to get a better sound, in electronic music anyway.
try something like fruityloops to get a real feel of drum programming, remember version 3.5 will be available as a vsti thus u can use in cubase or logic. cant wait

Back