Does Age Matter When It Comes To EDM Production?

Meren Longcha

I'm going to be 32 and I just got into production... With many talented youngsters in the scene sometimes I'm really intimitated.... I started late because I'm from a remote place where internet became available only after the year 2000 . I belong to a tribal community and I'm trying to find my root for a new sound. So guys, am I too late to get into production?

Last edited:
Welcome to FP, what tribal community do you belong to and where are you from? It is never too late to learn how to produce, age is only a factor regarding the business end of youth culture so if you are consciously not aiming for the youth you are good.

Thanks for the reply... I belong to Ao community.. a small state call Nagaland in the Northeastern part of India... And also thanks for the video... That's really a big encouragement...

It is NEVER too late to do anything positive, artistic and/or start a hobby or a craft. Music production is awesome if you love music. Making your own music will give you such an amazing joy that you will want to keep learning everything about music production. Youtube is a great place for you to watch tutorials and videos explaining many topics on music production and the software & hardware you will want to look into.

age doesn't matter man. as funny as it sounds, there is always some young prodigy. I play hockey and ski and there are always young kids shredding ;)
You just gotta do what you want to do and you'll fit in

Gao, India (and psy trance) all the way. Time is really the only factor. If you don't quit, you'll see very good progress in 5 years. But ...like a lot of art, it doesn't happen over night.

Youngsters (like younger than 17) grew up with technology so they have a better feel for it on the computer, and on the internet. And yes, they're also more appealing visually in front of an audience, but that's not a 100% deciding factor. Entertainment can be successful in many ways.

If you don't quit, you'll be fine. Time will tell. Put in the work.

Nice to meet you.

Last edited:
David guetta just turned 50 and he is still rocking it and as long as you got a ear and interrest in music, age is never a restriction

Last edited:
art is limitless and should be free of all constraints...I'll be 40 in 2 weeks and am in the studio most weekends and putting together a live show to take on the road next year with some equally old farts...

I'm going to be 32 and I just got into production... With many talented youngsters in the scene sometimes I'm really intimitated.... I started late because I'm from a remote place where internet became available only after the year 2000 . I belong to a tribal community and I'm trying to find my root for a new sound. So guys, am I too late to get into production?

Dude... Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, and Eddie Fowlkes, aka the Godfathers of Detroit Techno, are ALL in their 50's.

DIGITALIS_3_1.jpg

^^^ That's the group Digitalis, Nicolas Kellner and Roger Stucki. Both have careers (one in IT the other an architect) and both are up there in age as well and have been active since the late 80's.

Fact is, a lot of cats in various electronic music genre's are in their 40's and 50's with a good number even older than that. There are DJ's in their 70's and 80's like DJ Sumirock, Mamy Rock (RIP), and even Georgio Moroder (who's honestly far more than just a DJ... The dude is responsible for countless hits since the 70's as well as partially responsible for one of the world's rarest exotic cars).

Electronic music is one of those genre's where what matters the most is the music, not your back story or your age.

Last edited:
Of course it does. Just not in the sense that you can't make music when you're younger.
But as you get older, the music you want to make is gonna mature as well. It'll probably be less about 'that sick drop' and having lots of shitty risers going everywhere.

You can be creative at fifty years old. I too am 32 and am a producer. I love making music not because of the crowds, but because it's something I love to do. Doesn't mean one can't be found and create a top track with a killa beat. God Bless.

Haha, the youngsters are taking over, but i dont think age matter all too much. From the experience in listening to music and overall life experience, would make your sound more interesting. Doesnt have to, but the odds are higher. :P

Back