Disliking your own work.

I feel that it happens for several reasons. First, you evolve with everyone of your production, you learn new techniques and get better. Second you probably heard the track several hundred times working on it so you get a bit fedup by the melody. All of these make you not specially like previous track, it happens to me all the time. Some I did in the past, i thought it could totally be ok for labels, and when I listen back I am happy I didn't sent it! haha

My emotions towards my own music is a real rollercoaster. I tend to compare myslef to the best and that's just bound to do no good.
All in all I think the big thing is just realising that it's all a bit of a grind and as long as you keep making music you will get better.

My emotions towards my own music is a real rollercoaster. I tend to compare myslef to the best and that's just bound to do no good.
All in all I think the big thing is just realising that it's all a bit of a grind and as long as you keep making music you will get better.
It helps to not idolize the professionals. I mean, they are good, but honestly, they're not magic all-powerful geniuses. Most artists just find a formula they like and mostly stick to it. Some of them even stick to the formula of other artists.

butty.PNG
Dont worry mate, almost everyone hates their own work at one time or another. I've deleted so many tracks from SoundCloud I've lost count of them. It just means you're getting better and seeing more mistakes in your old work. Think about this: even Bob Ross never kept his own paintings in his own house, because all he could see were mistakes. It's just natural.

*In reply to the first post*

Yes I do after a week or two, I dislike it more with time... And sometimes I delete music I was proud of a few years ago. I've read it's a good thing because it shows that you're still working on your stuff. I think it is. But even if you delete (or not) I think it's important to ask people what they think about your song. Sometimes we're not able to listen to the song because we've been working on it too much...

I think it has got to do with your state of mind. Sometimes the same song that you think isn't great enough could make you feel good. Yeah, but it is always good to criticise your work to improve and make better music.

Maybe it's normal

to hear your own song some time later and think bad about it. For me - producing since about over a year the tracks i've started with sound like crap when i listen to it these days... ^^ The other thing is - with every track - that i think "oh, you could have done this better / louder etc." or "oh, instrument xy would be cool here..." but maybe it's the natural way that makes us produce Remixes of our own tracks. ;-D

Back