Deep House

scrapheaper

Feeling some music which could be described as 'deep house' quite a bit recently.

Someone take me through all the different corners of deep house and everything it has to offer.

No-one at all? Seems like one in three tracks in the electronica production section are labelled 'deep house'

Are there not any house fans here at all?

Im a huge fan of deep house, it's a huge sound you'll find around here in detroit. Most deep house has dark, 'deep' basslines, that give a track a eerie club feel to it. There's a lot of room to work with when youre trying to produce house as your creative boundaries are endless. Usually deep house is around 118-120, but some deep house can reach down to 110 and up to 124. I personally like 118 and 120 the best.

Im a huge fan of deep house, it's a huge sound you'll find around here in detroit. Most deep house has dark, 'deep' basslines, that give a track a eerie club feel to it. There's a lot of room to work with when youre trying to produce house as your creative boundaries are endless. Usually deep house is around 118-120, but some deep house can reach down to 110 and up to 124. I personally like 118 and 120 the best.
Can you give me the names of some artists please?

Can you give me the names of some artists please?
some more popular artists are claude vonstroke, justin jay, justin martin... pretty much anyone from the dirtybird label. You'll find a lot more stuff from random underground people on soundcloud. I personally also like My Digital Enemy, Kayliox, Oliver Heldens, kill frenzy, shiba san (personal favorite), chocolate puma, tchami, gregor salto.

There are a lot of good channels on youtube promoting deep house. I'm sure if you look you won't have trouble finding them quickly. I myself run one but can't post a link to it because im new on the forum. Type in "Just Listen" and maybe you can find me :D

Listen to Mark Henning - Supersonic, thats a good track :D Also I Reccomend you Hot Since 82 (One of my favorites), or Animal Trainer for some more chilly tracks :D[h=1][/h]

did you want feedback? if so I'd have to say that your tracks would not fare up well against the likes of oliver heldens and joris voorn. deep house is sexy, dark, cool, emotional, and groovy. its the kind of house music that the grown up crowd would prefer. I would tread on down to beatport and listen to some great deep house examples.

I think songs like those of Oliver Heldens & Tchami are about to be the new "main room house" in electronic music. Its literally just a deeper sound.
But if you're serious about exploring, check out Shiba San, Hot Since 82 (favorite) & Justin Martin.

I personally think deep house is a flash in the pan and will all but gone in a year. It's too repetitive across the genre

I personally think deep house is a flash in the pan and will all but gone in a year. It's too repetitive across the genre
Yeah, not sure we're talking about the same thing here: fairly sure deep house has been around for at least a decade. There's a new mainstream version of it that's only been around awhile, and some stuff inbetween but that's definitely not the be all and end all of the genre.

Yeah I meant the current commercial version. But it has totally infiltrated clubs too

Every genre is using deep house influences including hip hop. Listen to the song truffle butter. That beat is just so true. But it won't last. No genre exists long in the pop world. Right now r&b and dance are the norm. Not too long ago it was folk sounding music. Tomorrow it'll probably be doo wop.

some more popular artists are claude vonstroke, justin jay, justin martin... pretty much anyone from the dirtybird label. You'll find a lot more stuff from random underground people on soundcloud. I personally also like My Digital Enemy, Kayliox, Oliver Heldens, kill frenzy, shiba san (personal favorite), chocolate puma, tchami, gregor salto.

LOL. Dirtybird is definitely not Deep House. Unfortunately the new "Deep House" sound under the EDM umbrella is not the traditional Deep House. Dirtybird isn't even that. Neither is any of the others listed. Shiba San is considered G-House. Being from Detroit, where the sound was originated alongside Chicago cats, I would think Hoodler knew a little more. Kerri Chandler is credited as the father of Deep House. Check out Kyle Hall, Mike Huckaby, Omar S, Theo Parrish, Jay Daniel, or Alton Miller. That's Deep House. Originally it is House with jazz elements with 7th chords that create a deep, reflecting type feeling. The Deep House now contains literally zero elements of jazz and is usually just a sub bass with a pitched down vocal sample over top. Deep House normally needs jazz chords or it really is not Deep at all.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think this is one of those b******t genres where everyone thinks it's something different. It's almost as bad as 'dubstep'.

Still, cheers for the artist names everyone. Lots of people I'm enjoying...

Last edited:
Just gonna throw out some more names for you.

ShortBus kids, Huxley, Scuba, Betoko, Claptone. I often find myself kicking on the Deep House channel at Di.Fm and listening to an endless stream of the stuff. It is a very subtle genre.

Back