am i too prefctionist

Lol. Help with what? Seriously, you are here to ask for production knowledge, or to have a psychologist counseling?

I am too a perfectionist with my musical projects.. It just shows that you know exactly what you want and won't settle for less. It definitely has its drawbacks (you show someone your work, they think it's great and could be a good tune, but deep down you know it's not the best and you want to make something better), but at the same time, you know you have something to work towards. The basis of my perfectionism is that a) It's just how I am as a person when it comes to my creative side, and b) because the genre I focus on seems to have so much stuff that doesn't hit the spot, and I intend to create something that will actually contribute to what I believe my genre should actually sound like (genre = trance, hitting the spot = the emotional element)

This is something that keeps me striving to better myself - Artists such as Porter Robinson & Arty didn't just sit down, learn everything in 6-9 months, and make it big. In some of their interviews, each of these guys said that they have been involved in music since they were around 12.. and didn't see the spotlight until they were 18/19 years of age. So keep working at it, and you will definitely see the results.

Perfectionism really is the enemy of creativity. Just make lots of music and get in the habit of finishing tracks even if you end up being not too keen on them. It's all experience. Probably only 20% of the music i make sees the light of day on a release or given to a mate to listen to. The rest gets filed away or eventually dumped in the recycle bin but it all contributes to getting better at ones craft.

Perfectionism really is the enemy of creativity. Just make lots of music and get in the habit of finishing tracks even if you end up being not too keen on them. It's all experience. Probably only 20% of the music i make sees the light of day on a release or given to a mate to listen to. The rest gets filed away or eventually dumped in the recycle bin but it all contributes to getting better at ones craft.

This. The problem I'm noticing is that, nowadays, people don't want to sweat over practicing. They want everything as easy as possible.

There's a masterclass where one of the guy of Noisia says that he's perfectionist. But he knows how to control it, as at some point, all the fun of making music goes away, and he'd start correcting every aspect of every tiny bit of the song he's making.

i'm perfectionistic to.
I always throw away my old beats cause im not satisfied about them anymore.

I don't advice you to do that. Even if you're not satisfied with the beat you're making at the moment, you'll never know when you may use it again.

The song in my sig was "scrapped" about 4-5 months ago, and recently I re-discovered it, and work all the way to the end.

im always not stasfied with my work,never.
plz help!

If you were a perfectionist your title would be spelled correctly and you would not have skipped the apostrophe or shortened the word "please" as you have.

What you are is looking for an excuse to not complete what you have begun, so get on with it or give up.

^^^Ouch.
English is not everyones native tongue.
I agree he could have maybe put forth a little more effort, but that was harsh, dude...

too right jgrisly - kalafim is French and 16 - so no way the language skills in English are going to be solid right now

for those wondering: this was part of a postcount bump spree that wasn't bad enough to warrant deleting - the fact that so many decided to respond is an indication as to how appropriate the original post was

My bad he didn't have a location noted so I guess I went the wrong direction with the first part, I apologize for that.

The second part though I stand by. The more you complete the more you learn, 90% finished is not finished.

not possible. The more time you invest researching and putting knowledge into practise the tighter your sound will become.

I don't advice you to do that. Even if you're not satisfied with the beat you're making at the moment, you'll never know when you may use it again.

The song in my sig was "scrapped" about 4-5 months ago, and recently I re-discovered it, and work all the way to the end.

Yer i agree getting rid of stuff is really silly, ive got back and taken bits and bobs from old songs. never ever delete old work

too right jgrisly - kalafim is French and 16 - so no way the language skills in English are going to be solid right now

for those wondering: this was part of a postcount bump spree that wasn't bad enough to warrant deleting - the fact that so many decided to respond is an indication as to how appropriate the original post was

Speaking of which, are users aloud to post in French or other native tongue, or at least request possible help in alternate languages? Speaking French, I am always more than willing to help out the kids on the come up that may have some difficulty in English.

happens all the time, until you learn to like what you do. then you can be like: "well, could be better, but next time"

im always not stasfied with my work,never.
plz help!

It happens. And that's just because of creativity. The more creative you are, the more you're unsatisfied with your work.
But one of these days you are going to have to start putting your foot down and say "THIS IS DONE".

You can be perfect and broke, or you can finish your work quickly and efficiently and make money as a producer ;)

But NEVER stop trying to top yourself!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back