Song ID

A

AdVerse

Mad Cobra did a cover of the song "Gundelero," originally done by someone else, with different lyrics.

My questions: What artist did the original song? What is the title of this song? When was it released (an approximation is fine)?

I've been looking for this song for about 4 years. I originally heard it on an old mixtape someone gave me. Thanks in advance for any help!

(Mods: My apologies if this is the wrong forum...)

Original song is "Bandellero" by Pinchers- I don't have it in front of me, but it is early 90s.

There were a whole lot of other "...llero" tunes released when this came out, as well as a lot of other tunes on that same riddim.

'preciate dat bredda!

The specific song I'm looking for goes SOMETHING like this:

Gundelero/
I beg you put down you gun/
When you come a dance/
Man you come fi have fun/

Di people dem a tired a de run up and down/
Dem tired a di trample and de trample down/
Shoulder to shoulder me say tongue to tongue/
Dem 'fraid a di magnum and di big shotgun/

It is sung the same way as Cobra's version, by a singer with a raspy voice...

I guess it's not the original I'm looking for. Anyway, you've helped alot, as far as pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for the help!

One Love

(EDIT: I downloaded the Pinchers song... Very nice!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 'preciate dat bredda!

AdVerse said:
The specific song I'm looking for goes SOMETHING like this:

Gundelero/
I beg you put down you gun/
When you come a dance/
Man you come fi have fun/

Di people dem a tired a de run up and down/
Dem tired a di trample and de trample down/
Shoulder to shoulder me say tongue to tongue/
Dem 'fraid a di magnum and di big shotgun/

It is sung the same way as Cobra's version, by a singer with a raspy voice...

I guess it's not the original I'm looking for. Anyway, you've helped alot, as far as pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for the help!

One Love

(EDIT: I downloaded the Pinchers song... Very nice!)

OH that I believe is Gregory Isaacs, I doubt you will find that easily, it was on a 7" on a minor label.

Cobra came first or simultaneously with that though.

7"?!?!?

Damn... :-\

Well I guess I'll be doin some diggin (which I love to do anyway). I've made it my mission to find this song though... LOL. Brings back some great memories.

Thanks again bredda!

Re: 7"?!?!?

AdVerse said:
Damn... :-\

Well I guess I'll be doin some diggin (which I love to do anyway). I've made it my mission to find this song though... LOL. Brings back some great memories.

Thanks again bredda!

7" not surprising, 95% of all dancehall comes out on 7" in JA before (or if) it ever gets released in any other format...

The economy of the 7" keeps reggae alive and vibrant, by being so low cost and easy to produce.

This is an old thread, I know. But like I said, I really want this song.

I got my hands on a few Gregory Isaacs records, and unfortunately, that's not the voice that sang the Gundelero version I'm looking for.

If anyone even has an idea of the song I'm looking for, PLEASE post here. I'll be eternally grateful to you.

One Love
AV

(Edit: Daaaaaamn! Thread is 2 years old. I've been looking for this song since 1999, and still no luck.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a huge music collection, I'll do some searching and I'll let ya know in a day or two.

Found this thread while doing a google search since I was trying to find any information about this version of "Gundelero" which is probably very old... early 90s I believe.

Can't say I can shed much light on it but I remember hearing it on Kiss FM's (98.7 in NYC) Red Alert radio show during his 1 hour reggae hour show. He was playing songs like "Mac Daddy" who sounded an awful lot like the guy Adverse was talking about. Maybe Konders or Daddy Silva... some name(s) like that. It was the same riddem as Cobra's. I've got a tough time understanding the words in most dancehall/reggae music but I remember "Put down de gun, put down de magnum" was repeated a few times inbetween some of the verses (not as part of the chorus).

Back