reggae 101

M

mazammit

I was going to say im new to reggae, but being honest I hear it round my sides all the time. Especially in summer when neighours have those amazing bass lines pumping from the speakers. Instead, I'll say I'm new to knowing ABOUT reggae. I was just wondering if some people could point me to some artists to check out or something. I know Bob Marley (bet you knew I would mention him), but I also Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, John Holt, Chaka Demus n Pliers etc.I was randomly searchin the net the other day and I came across Olodum, the reggae band from Brazil, and I can't get enough of them! But I was just wondering about other artists/groups...

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
my favoriets for roots reggae

jacob miller, horace andy, bob andy, bunny wailer, johnny ousbourne, garnet silk, nitty gritty, sanchez, toots & the maytals, Jr Murvin, Frankie Paul, The Mighty Daimonds, Johnny Clark, Tenor Saw, Early B, Max Romeo, Dennis Brown, Barrington Levi, ...

and for modern style, check Jah Cure, I wayne, Richie Spice, Fantan Mojah, Turbulence, Sizzla, Gentlemen, Capleton, Jr Kelly, Luciano, Anthony B, ...

selector waxx gave some great names.

as for the more modern names i would add: bounty killer, beenie man, sizzla and macka diamond.

these are some serious djs who have been around and have more of a "rapping style" rather than singing style

you can find lots of incredible gems by simply searching for tracks made in a particular year, or at a particular studio, or by a particular producer.

reggae has always been very "modular"; often many singers share the same band. if you find a singer and enjoy his sound, do some research into the band backing him and find other cuts they have recorded around that time, for example.

you will rarely be disappointed.

Thanks for the help. I'll check out a few of the artists.

Yo Curlz do you mean RZA bobby digital or is there a different bobby digital???

You learn somethin new...!

I been thinkin for a long time now Morgan Heritage did an album with RZA, but did I read that they did it with BObby Digital and thought they meant RZA? I can't find the article..

Also try:

Leroy Smart
Coco Tea
Fred Locks
Augustus Pablo
Judah Tafari Eskender
Freddie Mcgregor
Congos
Culture
Little Roy
Itals
Don Carlos
Brigadier Jerry
Alton Ellis
John Holt
Johnny Osbourne
Naturalites

:D

selector waxx said:
It's a different, rza used that name cause he like the productions of bobby digital from the jamaican label digital b.

I don't think that's it. RZA was born Robert Diggs. See the relationship?

about rza and his nic bobby digital

i red in a very famous dutch music magasine (oor) an interview with him where he tells different things

selector waxx said:
about rza and his nic bobby digital

i red in a very famous dutch music magasine (oor) an interview with him where he tells different things

Well I guess if he said it I can't dispute it. It just seems that Robert Diggs can be easily made into Bobby Digital.

Back