playing dancehall for a US crowd...

engineroom

some rantings:

1) the Buzz riddim should be retired to a box in my garage

2) the Diwali riddim should be retired to a box in my garage

3) The Buy Out riddim will soon have to be retired to a box in my garage.

4) Sean Paul's next big tunes to bust in the US will be "Shake That Thing" on the Surprise riddim and "Ever Blazing" on the Masterpiece riddim. Both of those are old too...

5) The Bollywood riddim should actually be destroyed instead of retired.

6) The only good thing is that now at least people might vaguely recognise "Pon The River" and "Signal The Plane" instead of looking confused. Thanks for that one Sean and Jason.

:D:D:D

Buzz is old as hell damn...
so what do you mean is that what people are recognizing that are good ass hardcore riddims are all the old ones ???

Where in the US do you play?
Im in NYC am not West Indian and know my dancehall though.
In NYC people know their **** most of the time.
I did hear the Diwali riddim in a Florida Club last month
My cousin from Florida told me that he had heard the Clappas Riddim already when I brought it down for him to listen(dunno but Clappas Riddim was produced in FL)

People are still milking the Diwali riddim...bah

Bawling about riddims being old, demonstrates only one perspective in dancehall. If the riddim is good, it can always be called upon.

in this light, those producing a riddim, should focus on riddim quality......

Peace

madsciencesound said:
Bawling about riddims being old, demonstrates only one perspective in dancehall. If the riddim is good, it can always be called upon.

Peace

no on is dissing old riddims- but things get played out and need to sit out for a while before coming back as classics if they merit it...

madsciencesound said:

Peace

i don't think the complaint is about the age of the riddim but, the fact that the US audience treats those 3 riddims as if they are the latests riddims and as if no newer or other riddims had been released. then again that is not completely their fault, cause the people who don't know are not big fans of dancehall but those whose only exposure to reggae is what MTV & the mainstream stations show them.

madsciencesound said:

Peace

id be doing much less bawling about riddims if there were some new ones that could hoist the jockstraps of last years crop.

its been something like 4 months since a new riddim moved me. in early 2003, i was hearing like a new riddim every 2 weeks tops that moved me.

i swear, it feels like the music went into some sort of hybernation the second the US market started to embrace it, post gimme the light.

its weird, major magazines on the scene here in the US are jocking dancehall, allllllll the wanna be djs play their worn out tired ass bargain bin dancehall cuts everywhere you go now, and yet no new riddims have come out in ages.

fockery.

are people in jamaica discussing this? am i totally reading too much into the lack of riddims? am i just not hearing the new riddims?

There's usually a lag after the holidays, for obvious reasons. An example, I had completed a couple of riddims for Wall Street Records last fall. Since most labels try to voice the artists before the holidays, there could be a lag by the time the riddims are ready for release. In my case, one riddim probably will not be out until later this month or early next because the label could not book the bigger names until after Xmas. In any case, around this time of the year there should be some new material coming out in slow but increasing numbers. As a whole, the music industry does not really get going again for the new year until Grammy time anyway.

- KB

many thanks for the info!

this definately does make sense.. lets hope it proves to be the case.

Back