The next big thing...

Come on man these artists are established already. Nothing cutting edge about them. Both of them deh pon road for like 2 yrs strong. Bunji was just crowned Soca Monarch @ T&T carnival...

dutty said:
Come on man these artists are established already. Nothing cutting edge about them. Both of them deh pon road for like 2 yrs strong. Bunji was just crowned Soca Monarch @ T&T carnival...

yes i was there at soca monarch...

the point was addressed to people in the mainstream (most dancehall fans i know barely know about them, much less others) - rupee was recently signed by atlantic, and bunji just keeps getting bigger and better each year, and is now doing a tracks with dancehall producers (Juicy riddim for example)

I voiced Bunji and Kevin Little on last year, It seems alot of people are checking for him right now (Bunji). In any event he seems like a cool guy, I happy for his success.

Mr.Curlz said:
Yo Engine,

How was carnival in TT? How come yuh neva link me?

carnival was nice, although Poison get too big now (34 sections, 1200 people in our section, including Machel, Rupee, Timmy, Dwight York, Jungko, Brian Lara and Gabriel Union)

In JA i was pretty much on the DL, only country flex I made was a drive up to Portland one day- pretty much just chilled with friends most of the time...

engineroom said:

yes i was there at soca monarch...

the point was addressed to people in the mainstream (most dancehall fans i know barely know about them, much less others) - rupee was recently signed by atlantic, and bunji just keeps getting bigger and better each year, and is now doing a tracks with dancehall producers (Juicy riddim for example)

btw, signed by atlantic == kiss of death artistically.

mark my words.

ichi said:

btw, signed by atlantic == kiss of death artistically.

mark my words.

i disagree, i think atlantic A&R figured out after the Machel Montano fiasco that they would have better success by letting those type of artists still work with Caribbean producers- Sean has continued in more or less the same pattern he was before, other than a few collabs here and there with foreign artist and producers (and most of those have been very good)

but, we can see in a year or so who's correct :D

engineroom said:

i disagree, i think atlantic A&R figured out after the Machel Montano fiasco that they would have better success by letting those type of artists still work with Caribbean producers- Sean has continued in more or less the same pattern he was before, other than a few collabs here and there with foreign artist and producers (and most of those have been very good)

but, we can see in a year or so who's correct :D

actually you make a good point with sean... ill keep my fingers crossed.

so what is the deal with Machel Montano. I just discovered that dude at realvibes.net. That video for outa space is off the chain! Did he try to make it stateside? He should try again man cuz that kid is a star.

jimg said:
so what is the deal with Machel Montano. I just discovered that dude at realvibes.net. That video for outa space is off the chain! Did he try to make it stateside? He should try again man cuz that kid is a star.

Machel Montano is kind of the Michael Jackson of soca, without the wierd behaviour...

He was a child star in Trinidad, and then started the band Xtatik in the early 90s, and they have been HUGE since... did I mention HUGE? as in HUGE.

He did a track called "Come Dig It" for Delicious Vinyl a few years ago that was a minor club hit int the US and the UK, and he had signed a deal with Atlantic- the story goes (although there are a bunch of stories) that they wanted him to work with a lot of producers in Europe who mostly wanted to do pop/dance stuff with him, and he wasn't into that, so the deal eventually fell through.

Xtatik is quite possibly the single biggest draw in English Caribbean music

Back