Does a Dancehall / Reggae track need African or Jamaican Vocalist for it to be...

HenyEnvy

soundcloud.com/henyenvy
Hey guys quick question.

Does a Dancehall / Reggae track need African or Jamaican Vocalist for it to be a Dancehall or Reggae track.

For example if you were listening to a beat that was like a dancehall riddim but then an english person sung on the track with an english accent and language. Would you still consider that a Dancehall track or something else?

Thanks.

I guess it would make it more 'pop'.
The music that they are making for Justin Beiber for example often uses dancehall patterns but then the melody and lyrics make it more poppy.
Maybe 'tropical pop', I don't know...does it matter?

It depends. How much are they performing "in the tradition," and how much of the performance is Bieber-like pop?

White "reggae" performers? English? I don't know, you could check-out The Police, English Beat, Selector, The Specials, UB40, some songs by The Clash... Dancehall? How about the whole "Ragga" scene of the 90s/early 2000s, Apache Indian, like that? Oh, yeah, just remembered a super example of non-Jamaican pretty authentic interpolation-- how about Matisyahu??

Yeah, it can work, but it depends on your singer/rapper/toaster, how much they know about the genre and how to make it sound fairly authentic without being an unflattering imitation, and if they will even be willing to do that or want to do a Bieber/George Michael/Boy George pop thing.

Last edited:
Back