Dancehall/Reagae Computer softwares

Is there anyone who has used hiphop ejay 5 software to make dancehall beats? If any, plz recommend on the sotfware coz i'm about to go about it.

Thanks Chameleon.

Do you mean that the FL + reason only = dancehall beat? If so can you give me an illustration to follow through?

the programs them self dont make dancehall beats. you would have to program them into the program to get the dancehall vibe. you can get a motif or a casio keyboard and play classical music on it and then go and play something with a dancehall feel. its all about how YOU make the program or hardware sound.

you can check out fruity loops now called FLStudio here
http://www.fruityloops.com/English/frames.html

and reason 2.5 here
http://www.propellerheads.se

theres also Orion Platinum 5.5
http://www.synapse-audio.com/news.php?id=55

the only thing you will make with fruity loops and reason is something that sounds like it was made with fruity loops and reason.

the only software you need to 'make reggae beats' is in your head, and its called good taste.

a whole lot of people here need to upgrade btw.

making reggae beats requires years of exposure to reggae and a degree of vision. without either one of those, no software in the world is going to help you.

the best beats made were made on equipment that can be bought for under 1000$ total on ebay right now.

anyone who suggests that a software solution is going to somehow equip you to step up to the plate and make beats needs to be ignored or worse.

xtraclip.com said:

Ichi you chase the youth off wit a couple of sentences.LOL.

yeah man, i should probably upload some beats before i mouth off like that, but my intentions are to simply dissuade people from thinking there is a software based shortcut to professional grade production.

dancehall comes from the heart, not from fruity loops, reason, cubase, or anything else that comes on a disc.

On a simular topic. What do everybody use for kicks/drums and bass lines. Programs/VTS/Samples.

ive asked around, and the best advice ive gotten with regards to generating bass lines is to cop a Novation Bass Station.

the best advice ive gotten with regards to snares came from this board actually; sample a snare from the intro roll of a dub track and speed up/slow down until you find your sound.

kicks, im still working on a propper source for kick sounds myself, id love to know more about what the pro's use.

Last edited by a moderator:
ichi said:

dancehall comes from the heart, not from fruity loops, reason, cubase, or anything else that comes on a disc.

True.

"A poor craftsman allways blames his tools."

ichi said:

of coarse, all music comes from the heart but you still need to use that software or some type of musical instrument to export them.

Chameleon said:

of coarse, all music comes from the heart but you still need to use that software or some type of musical instrument to export them.

i guess that makes sense if you take my quote totally out of context.

my point is simply this:

you cant buy software to make dancehall beats, it doesnt exist.

you need to know the music first; the math behind its definition, and to understand that you really have to know its history.

and if youve ever suffered through the indignity of listening to the masturbatory and wholly clueless sonic meanderings of todays tribe of fruity loops based producers, i think you would empathize right off with what an outrageous question 'what software can i use to make dancehall beats with' is, and why i have a hair trigger when it comes to people wanting to effortlessly rape this music that i love.

and yeah, im an arrogant a55hole, but that doesnt mean that im wrong.

i didnt take your statment out of context, i understood what was ment by it. you dont want him to make some dancehall vibe beats just cuase its the "IN" thing to do now. you want him to make it out of love for dancehall and understand what dancehall is about...

yes i've heard some fruityloops based producers some bad and some not. i dont really care for FL much my self but for people just staring out or with limited money its a good learning tool when it come to music in general, they can learn patterns and how to fill the stereo feild, ect. they could always upgrade to bigger an better equipment. i just wish they would get better sound packs.

Chameleon said:
i didnt take your statment out of context, i understood what was ment by it. you dont want him to make some dancehall vibe beats just cuase its the "IN" thing to do now. you want him to make it out of love for dancehall and understand what dancehall is about...

yes i've heard some fruityloops based producers some bad and some not. i dont really care for FL much my self but for people just staring out or with limited money its a good learning tool when it come to music in general, they can learn patterns and how to fill the stereo feild, ect. they could always upgrade to bigger an better equipment. i just wish they would get better sound packs.

thank you for not taking my hyperbole the wrong way.

FL encourages lazy music making; most of the people ive heard who use it simply get blazed and mess around until they stumble across something that strikes them as dynamic (the shotgun approach).

with hiphop, you can get away with that fine, however no one but NO one is ever going to say timbo, puff, et all are master musicians.

but the giants of reggae / dancehall production ARE master musicians. king jammy, coxsone (rest in peace), lee perry, etc understood the science, the math behind the music, and the masters that followed them were building on their knowledge directly or indirectly.

so basically, instead of spending money on software, i would suggest that any aspiring dancehall producer spend his money on several good studio one comps and a few cds of riddim compilations.

once you know the music in your heart, then you can feel free to mutate it/melt it/drip it on ants using whatever software you want.

Whoaa, that's a good thread. I totally agree with Ichi in saying that dancehall doesn't come out of a formula. Understanding the music as well as basic musical concept is the key to make anything coherent and the tool used to achieve this goal depends on personnal preferences.

PS: Has anyone tried Native instuments Battery for drum sounds?

battery is made for drums. its a sampler made for percussion. other sounds can be placed in the banks as well, but its made around the notion of being a drumkit.

i work with cubase sx 2.1 and vst-instruments, i had a hacked version in the past from H2O crew, wich worked very well, so search that and search some decent vsti's on http://kvr-vst.com/.

for the note, i legalised my copy of cubase sx 2 months ago (wich costed me about 670 €)

Back