Dancehall production question

I would forget about doing another Diwali. For one the riddim is over two years old and the dancehall scene has moved on. In terms of tempo, don't restrict yourself on what the tempo should be. What makes a dancehall riddim and produce stand out is the creativity.. I have produced many a riddims that varied in tempo (77 - 105 and up) and incorportated a vaired amount of different musical styles. Be creative and trust your instincts.

- KB

Thanx for all the replies and help.
I now have what will sorta be the backbone of the track, changes will probably still be made after the vocals are recorded and based on hoe this track is received by people.

Anyway this is the link, hope it works (it's a mp3 so might take some time to download):
Premium riddim

hey Premium, i tried to listen to ur track but it never played. i waited for about 15 mins, is that normal or is there another way i could hear it?

;) Feelin that Premium!
Unique with that sample, and then the surprise with the claps and "scream" sound! Very Nice,sir.

One

^thanx, at first I had the claps throughout the whole song but then decided to replace them with hihats and just add the claps in a few bars..
@cameleon..i don't know what the problem is, it's on my own server space. If i click the link myself it starts streanming almost immediately, i'm on a cable connection by the way..

?

just try 2 make something that would make dancehall people dance....that's just it...believe me...

once you can do that...then the artiste who will ride it will havve no problem makin his tune and when it play, if the lyrics hot, then uhnu will tear up the clubs with it...
later...
fo more info im me at beatwizzard@hotmail.com

suped_s10_drawing.gif

Re: ?

grimey4sure said:
just try 2 make something that would make dancehall people dance....that's just it...believe me...

once you can do that...then the artiste who will ride it will havve no problem makin his tune and when it play, if the lyrics hot, then uhnu will tear up the clubs with it...

Yeah don't try to make it too complicated either. Simple riddims normally do better on a whole than complex riddims, even though that is kind of changing nowadays with the lenky revolution.

Prem-0..........hot ish dawg. Im really feelin that, alls you need is Elephant Man to spit on that and youre set!!!!!
Outta curiosity tho.......and to test my ear, are you using a sample from the BamBam Riddim? - you know murder she wrote by chaka demus and pliers? It was also put over the Filthy remix riddim......

Cameleon, I did this track is a few stages. First evening I worked on it i came up with the drum pattern and main melody. Another night I added the bass. Later on I changed it up a bit added some hihats where it was all claps throughout the song at first. Basically it was 3 evenings work spread out over two weeks or so. It took a little longer than it might take me to do a hiphop tune on a good day, since this is my first ragga riddim.

@ XtremRukus, thanks for the compliments and I did use a sample of a single snare hit from the "rich girl" riddim, but you were very close! I listened to the "murder version" and it has the same sound on it. Drum programming is mine tho, no loops.

Im a dance hall producer or at least I like to consider my self one although most of my riddims come out as hip hop.
Anyway my advice, if you can find out what the artist wants and how he wants it, bass line, kicks, snares, melody etc. And then conform to his liking. The most importatnt factor is that the artist is able to flow on the riddim.
Mainly in dance hall the bass line almost allways stays the same like a formula, just with a different edit everytime.
I have a concept riddim that I did not mastered or anything if you wan hear it let me know.
info@extracliprecords.com

Premium post the copyrights to the track cuz thats going in my version collection. I wan know who to credit for the track.

Xtraclip,

You can just credit it to me: Premium for Premium Productions.
Just don't spread it around please cuz I really shouldn't have posted it here yet, and beatjackers are everywhere you know..
Anyway vocal recordings start sunday, the rap vocals..the ragga vocals will be done around 7 september but i'll let everyone here hear it first when its all done.

One,
Premium

I dont give out/spread riddims its strictly for personal use.
Either way post some kind of contact info cuz I may want to use your service later on in the future.
Outa curiosity how much you sell that beat for, if you cant dissclose that its cool.

This track is done with my own crew rapping on it so i haven't really sold it. But next time i will since it always seems like the producer is doin' most of the work and this way its not really paying off. You can always contact me on my email tslou@chello.nl or hotmail twin_spark@hotmail.com.
By the way i'd like to hear that track you did, you can mail a mp3 or whatever to my chello account if you don't want to post it.
Peace,
Premium

Just Build the riddim with love

My advice though not professional, would be, use any equipment you find yourself comfortable with. Dancehall, unlike hip hop is all about feeling, start with the basic 2 kick, 1 snare pattern, a little chh or hi hats, and listen to the pattern for a while, then start to subsitute different bass and snare, til you have a unique sound thats completely yours, thats why i have to give fl studio props for that, i can change samples instantly, then you have the change ups later on in the riddim that makes dancehall what it is, the infamous one-drop,
then you listen to what you got, and your choice of instrument will speak for it - self, i promise you that,
but remember simplicity is what makes dancehall what it is, if your ear is tune to a hip hop vibe, you most likely will overlook a classic to be treasured, my second advice let a couple yardy listen to it, and watch them, you'll see the light.

Hope I helped
Bug Life, Out
www.soundclick.com/krzykomotionproductions

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way i'd like to hear that track you did
I have a track on my website...
www.xtraclip.com
look under the artist section...check Lavish Luxury and hear the track.

As far as the dancehall track I did it on fruityloops (so it souds like $#!T) but the concept is there as soon as I find a decent studio ill master it properly. The track thats posted was done on fruity loops too but I was pleased enough wit it to post it up.
I hate that program (FL) but its real easy to put your concepts on it then transfer them to Cubase.

two small points about producing riddims

point one:

if youre shopping for gear to make riddims with, ignore any technology produced in the last 10 years or so.

stick with whatever sequencers and such you can dig up in pawn shops or thrit stores, and *seriously* consider building your own effects.

point two:

i have lost count a hundred times over of the producers who come to me with 'new wicked dancehall riddims' who clearly have NO IDEA how beats work.

take a few minutes and research what the roots of dancehall are. they are, in fact, quite mathmatic, especially regarding the use of accents, and the position of those accents along a 4 bar break. they are, in fact, almost the exact opposite of the hiphop's basic accent structure.

without exception, most of the fools trying to produce wikked riddims i bump into do so from a hiphop perspective. this is a huge mistake. dancehall has far more in common with calypso beats than hiphop, and any attempt to just 'whip up' a riddim, even by modifying a previous riddim, is doomed to failure unless you understand the formula.

Back