Dancehall production question

Premium

mixmaster
Dancehall prod. question--> riddim added!

What's up,

I got the opportunity to do a collabo with Mr. Vegas, it;s gonna feature rap artists too but the beat (or riddim) has to be straight up dancehall..

Since I only have about a week max to create the beat, all the tips are welcome! i got 8 years in this production game..but not in dancehall though..only hip hop!

Should I create a track from scratch or should i look for a hot Riddim and use that (making minor adjustments)?

I'm gonna use my MPC and Roland XP30 probably..are these good for dancehall production?

If anyone can enlighten me, it would be much appreciated!

Premium

Last edited:
Premium said:
Should I create a track from scratch or should i look for a hot Riddim and use that (making minor adjustments)?

I'm gonna use my MPC and Roland XP30 probably..are these good for dancehall production?

if u cant think of a new dancehall beat u might wanna us a hot Riddim and use that. as far as the MPC and Roland XP30 if u can pull off a dancehall track with those i'm sure some how u can. did he say anything about how he wants the track?? what kinda direction he wants to take the track in?

and Welcome to FutureProducers.com

It's kinda of a deal where we (rappers & producer) create something that will be sent to jamaica for Vegas' part, we probably won't even talk to him or whatever (unfortunately)..

Are there certain riddims that are overused, that I should stay away from? or riddims that are useable?
Hoe does this usually work, someone just lift a riddim from a compilation album? or dou you replay it?
I'm hesitating if i should do this since it's sort of an unwritten law in hiphop that you don't jack beats..I guess this is a different culture...

My question about the equipment, since this is a production forum, was asked because i have no idea what established 'riddim creators' use in dancehall??

Anyway it's a lotta questions and i feel like like a newbie....but what the hell..

One thing I like about Dancehall is that 20 different artists can represent on the same beat (sumtimes the same artist will do 3 different songs on the same riddim). Its about the music not the copyright and money (although it has some to do with it, but not as much as american music).

I would start from scratch if i was in your situation. Listen to some big hit riddims to get ideas but throw your own twist into it. Its gotta be upbeat and follow most dancehall beat patterns but then again you can switch it up to add your own personal flava to it. Just try to make it complete. Ive heard some cats try to do dancehall riddims and they sound too plain and simple. Just do ya thang.

ske[t]ch said:
just keep in mind if u use a riddim Mr.Vegas might have been on it before

exactly....

build it from scratch. doesn't really matter what equipment you use though as long as you have the feeling in you.

I just started on the beat yesterday, and it's not goin as easy as i hoped..
Right now the drum track is sounding a bit too sean-paul-ish..but i guess that's due to the claps i put in it..
I still gotta work on the melody and bass.

The rappers are probably unknown to the most of you since it's some local cats from around my way. I live in Amsterdam by the way.
None of us is big time or whatever but we're just tryin to make moves in this music biz..this seemed like a great opportunity to get a foot in the door..

i'm working on a dancehall track at the moment also but instead of sounding too sean-paulish its sounds too junglish, if u dont mind i would like to hear ur track when u finish it Premium.

Premium said:
I just started on the beat yesterday, and it's not goin as easy as i hoped..
Right now the drum track is sounding a bit too sean-paul-ish..but i guess that's due to the claps i put in it..
I still gotta work on the melody and bass.

The rappers are probably unknown to the most of you since it's some local cats from around my way. I live in Amsterdam by the way.
None of us is big time or whatever but we're just tryin to make moves in this music biz..this seemed like a great opportunity to get a foot in the door..

Woah *Sean Paul Ish*....we're giving Sean Paul credit for teh Diwali Riddim.....LOL do your thing though man* Keep it hot*

Cameleon said:
i'm working on a dancehall track at the moment also but instead of sounding too sean-paulish its sounds too junglish, if u dont mind i would like to hear ur track when u finish it Premium.

Sean Paulish?!?

what is that?!?

engineroom said:

Sean Paulish?!?

what is that?!?

lol, mussi uptown crossover friendly easily marketed to urban youth in america type music :monkey:

Damn, i really started something making that remark..haha..
Anyway, I take it back, I don't know what the **** it sounds like right now..
'been messin around with this arabic sounding sample for a minute. I think it sounds kinda nice...
We're gonna try to record the rap part this weekend, then i'm gonna work on the track more, so it will fit the flow..

if your an established hiphop producer, then just make a hiphop tune. but for dancehall make sure its kinda like

K--- K--- K--K --K- where the k represents a kick drum

if you wanna use claps then just try to tab out the intro to that lumidee track and make ur own adjustments. but to be honest claps are way to over used.

other beat u should try is

k--k --s- k--k --s-

this kinda beat is used on sean paul 'like glue' and some other ruff dancehall hits.

so what im saying is just take one of your best hiphop tunes u've made, then add one of the two beats behind it. also remove the bass, and just use sub-kicks over the kick drums. the drum loops may look simple, but thats what they seem to use.

have fun wid it :victory:

also your gonna wanna make the tempo 100bpm, and absolutly nothing else. if your clever though, make it 99bpm and 101bpm, so people who wanna come along and chop and dissect your tune with have a harder time doin so.

like in da club, is like at 89.674 bpm or somthing like that. so people who wanna chop it have a harder time.

u may wanna take the diwali riddim, and chop that up too, if u wanna use claps that is. but im sure u have loads of your own clap sounds to make something oringial.

check out www.thugangel.co.uk/dancehall.zip
this is my guide to dancehall hope u find it helpful

Back