best tempo to make a hiphop track

There is a very wide range of tempos to use for hiphop. If' im making a boom bap style track though i use anything between 65-90 bpm, but there are no rules. whatever works.

whatever fits THAT beat. play around with different things. get a vibe off a faster tempo or slow it down see what sounds better.
85 is right in the middle not too fast, but not slow either. it's all up to u!

Get a vibe off a faster tempo or slow it down see what sounds better.

It doesn't matter whether you are using Logic or any other program or app, or a drum-machine or a real drummer; tempo is tempo.

For most people to actually get their lyrics in, 90-95 bpm is the standard. As many have noted above, you can play with a little slower or faster, but what many folks think of as "faster" vs. "slower" is not really accurate... Sometimes I hear rappers or young producers say "the beat's too slow" when they really mean they want more movement with 16th or 32nd-notes, which is really just an illusion (as the basic pulse is still in the 90-95 or so range). Trap music is not generally "faster," it's actually often slower tempo-wise, but the rhythm is busier because of all of the 16th-note activity with hi-hats, shakers, and bass drums, etc., etc.

GJ

PS-- Remember, you're counting "1,2,3,4." Whatever tempo that is at, is the tempo. The rest is decoration.

Last edited:
i do 70 - 140. i always do trap in 140, old school is 70-98. i just tweek from 70-98 in hip hop. depends on how i want my drums to go.

Get your beats better, the tempo will turn out to be great.

Just another way to try and explain it-- if you are making a trap beat at 140 bpm, you are actually making it at 70 bpm, if in this example we use a quarter note pulse; if you are using a bpm of 140 and the eighth note is getting the pulse, then your downbeats (1, 2, 3, 4 or "boom baps") would be in half-time.

GJ

Back