What equipment do you use?

starcraft

What setup or equipment did you use when you first started making music?
What type of hardware and software/vst's do you favor the most? Where you makin money from the music you made to purchase your equipment or did you have to work a part time/ full time job on the side?
What's the first instrument you learned to play?

in 1997, i got an mpc2000. i got a friend to get me a discount on an ADAT machine in 2000 or 2001 or so. that's what i mixed "deadringer" on. i didnt get a computer til 2002. i have since been using protools.

the 1st instrument i took lessons on was piano, then guitar. ive always invested alot of the money i make into instruments, i see it as a sound investment.

i worked many many jobs, like everyone else. even when i started living off music, there was a lot of ramen noodles, sleeping in my car after a far away gig, etc. general bullshit, nothing new, lots of people live that life to make a living in music.

so are you still rocking the mpc 2000 or have you upgraded since. also I would love for you to go into detail about your mics etc ... your vocals have a great tonal quality on your later albums. thanks for any responce.

hey, thanks. been on the mpc2000xl since maybe 2004 or so. still use it.

mics: thanks! for my vox, ive been using a gefell um75 for the last 3 years ago. did "third hand" on a rode nt1a, and i really hate the sound of those vox, but whatever. RCA ba-1a mic pre, tube tech comp, but honestly all that shit doesnt matter, the mic and the voice and HOW your mic technique is are the only things that matter really. none of the "tone" stuff IMO comes from anything else in the signal chain. mic itself almost doesnt matter; the voice and how you use it easily the most important things. cliche, but so true.

Back