question on sample technique

I think pretty much everything people with this stature they tend too keep a tight lipp when it comes down to techniques or ways round things more so tips . Even when it comes to createn sometimes its just instinct cause of the way one and the music flows other then doing everything in a specific order which is good for a foundation .

well what do i know ' right ?

Last edited:
i use an mpc2000xl. kinda old school. its really all in the arrangement, and ear. its editing on the front end, not in the mix or on the back end, so to speak.

I think he means that you achieve a good mix by recording it the right way in the first place, not fixing the problems in the mix later on. If turd is coming in then a polished turd will come out, just a little less shittier sounding =)
Since it's samples you obviously don't record them yourself so you just have go through loads of them and pick the ones that suits your track.

Was that kind of what you meant or am I wrong? If so, fill us in! Thanks for taking your time!

I think he means that you achieve a good mix by recording it the right way in the first place, not fixing the problems in the mix later on. If turd is coming in then a polished turd will come out, just a little less shittier sounding =)
Since it's samples you obviously don't record them yourself so you just have go through loads of them and pick the ones that suits your track.

Was that kind of what you meant or am I wrong? If so, fill us in! Thanks for taking your time!

that's exactly it. for every sample that winds up in a song, i have tried or passed on another 2-20 samples in its place. the hardest thing i ever had to learn was how to have a "criteria" for what i would and wouldnt put in a song. by far.

that's exactly it. for every sample that winds up in a song, i have tried or passed on another 2-20 samples in its place. the hardest thing i ever had to learn was how to have a "criteria" for what i would and wouldnt put in a song. by far.

Thats good to know. It seems that your samples blend so well. They come from numerous sources. Im not worried about how they are recorded or how well they are mixed, but more so the way they blend together in the same key so effortlessly. Its easy to sample different parts of the same song (which most people do), but its hard as hell to take parts and pieces from numerous different records. :banghead:

P.S- See you on September 25th at the Masquerade in Atlanta. Got my ticket already!!!

Last edited:
alot has to do with good chopping and slicing, i have heard songs that they try to loop a sample and the sample isint even a good loop and its sounds very nasty and rough

Back