Musical Background?

Han$

Before I start i want to say I'm a huge fan of your work and i want to thank you for taking the time to mingle with us.

My question is what is your background in music? I heard you've been incorporating more live instrumentation in your music lately as opposed to sampling so I was wondering what instruments can you play and when you began playing them.

I'm a 19 yr old Japanese-American aspiring producer living in Tokyo right now, and a lot of established dudes have been telling me that i should learn instruments and learn to compose because the majors aren't looking at sampled tracks due to clearance issues (especially because we're located overseas). So I've recently picked up the guitar and drums, and have been working on my piano skills from about a year or so back.

how much importance would you place on being able to play an instrument?

thanks for reading man, looking forward to hearing back from you.

Before I start i want to say I'm a huge fan of your work and i want to thank you for taking the time to mingle with us.

My question is what is your background in music?

I have always wondered this my self. I've always thought that you have understood theory really well. Is this so?

yes,i went to music school. forgive me, but i have answered the question of schooling/background a zillion times, so im gonna just link to wiki, which should answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJD2

important? dunno. helpful? hugely. the music theory part has been really helpful. alot of that stuff comes from analyzing music, though, so dont underestimate what can be done at home with headphones and your brain.

Last edited:
yes,i went to music school. forgive me, but i have answered the question of schooling/background a zillion times, so im gonna just link to wiki, which should answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJD2

important? dunno. helpful? hugely. the music theory part has been really helpful. alot of that stuff comes from analyzing music, though, so dont underestimate what can be done at home with headphones and your brain.

Ur the man dood. Sorry I dont read many interviews.

---------- Post added 07-16-2010 at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-15-2010 at 05:33 AM ----------

The wiki says nothing about your schooling background. So did you learn theory in school, or did you train your ear from djing? Sorry for asking you the same question some one else has already asked you prior.

Off topic. I bought your cd's before i learned to download. Still have somthing on vinyl. Thanks for the good quality.

Off topic. Do you like the daylaborers, or the Producer Scamadix?

Last edited:
hey- i took musiclessons when i was younger. then went to arts school for music in HS. so that part came mostly from "schooling". all the important stuff-composition ideas, arranging, etc-came from listening to music.

Would you recommend (3 year long) Music Technology/Production studies? I'm fresh out of high school and not really sure what to study next year, but this is one of my main options. Only thing I'm worried about is the lack of jobs after I'm finished.

Ur the man dood. Sorry I dont read many interviews.

---------- Post added 07-16-2010 at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-15-2010 at 05:33 AM ----------

The wiki says nothing about your schooling background. So did you learn theory in school, or did you train your ear from djing? Sorry for asking you the same question some one else has already asked you prior.

Off topic. I bought your cd's before i learned to download. Still have somthing on vinyl. Thanks for the good quality.

Off topic. Do you like the daylaborers, or the Producer Scamadix?

Haha. I'm sure he's never heard of me. :P

But... Good question! lol.

haha i just thought of how strange it must be to read a wikipedia article about yourself

Back