How long did it take you to develop your own style and become very good?

How dont did it take you to develop your own style and become very good?

did you mean

How long did it take you to develop your own style and become very good?

if you did let me know so i can edit the title of the thread for you

I think that's safe to assume haha ^

To add on to this question.. When did you start feeling you had a set style and how did it develop? What kinds of genres were you mainly producing? Did you know your 'sound' when you heard it?

years, probly. hard to say. at first, all producers are just a product of their influences, IMO. only until you really start making records does a style emerge, i think. i started in 97; it wasnt til maybe 2003 or so that anyone said "you've got a style". i never wanted one. i wanted to be a chameleon, no 2 records sounding the same. it was dissappointing when people started telling me that. i made rap records. then i got into doing my own thing. i still feel like im constantly chasing new ghosts, to be honest......

for the young cats:
i would only sweat this issue if you are constantly compared to one guy. if you love timbo, and everything you make sounds like him, thats ok for now, but what you want to do is to find OTHER guys you idolize, and start imitating ALL of them. this is how people come up with their "own" style, even though its all just a redux of what you like....

So do you really get stuck in making that "Style" once other people determine it?? I love to hop around and make stuff that people would never imagine me making, and I always planned on being a chameleon too, but how practical is that for a producer who needs to find a job? I guess it would be harder to establish a set client base if you're all over the place.

Back