Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youtube Content ID/Copyright Help?

Thanks

Youtube Content ID/Copyright Help?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Recently I've been hit with a few copyright claims on my beats that I've uploaded to youtube. One of which is at 100,000 views. I want to prevent this from continuing to happen since a lot of rappers will just rip the beat off youtube or purchase a lease then go distribute it through tunecore or such. Anyone know a way i can prevent this from continuing to happen? To where they will get hit with the copyright claim or content id instead of me? Since after all they are my beats... If anyone has some info or can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone tried the beatstars content id? I've seen it on the site but im iffy about it.

Thanks
    Who made the copyright claims?
    "Once black music leaves its original context, it begins to take on different meanings and serve different functions, and it is interpreted very differently." Portia Maultsby

Thanks
    The artist that leased the track. I reached out to him had him remove the youtube video and try and figure out things on his end, after almost a month youtube just sent me an email that the copyright claim has been released. but im looking to prevent that from happening again since it's one of my most popular beats

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BearOnTheBeat View Post
    The artist that leased the track. I reached out to him had him remove the youtube video and try and figure out things on his end, after almost a month youtube just sent me an email that the copyright claim has been released. but im looking to prevent that from happening again since it's one of my most popular beats
    Unfortunately this will keep happening as long as artists keep "opting in" for distribution on YouTube. (Which most do) A way you can prevent this (at this time) would be to release the music yourself (as a "instrumental collection") or similar and then sign up for a Content ID program and then you'd control the masters on YouTube.

The downside to this is that when cats do release their music on YouTube they will be the ones to get hit with the content id notices...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTRAXX View Post
    Unfortunately this will keep happening as long as artists keep "opting in" for distribution on YouTube. (Which most do) A way you can prevent this (at this time) would be to release the music yourself (as a "instrumental collection") or similar and then sign up for a Content ID program and then you'd control the masters on YouTube.

The downside to this is that when cats do release their music on YouTube they will be the ones to get hit with the content id notices...
    I've seen beatstars offers a content ID program, not too sure about it though i'd have to look into it. As far as releasing an instrumental collection you mean like putting together an "album" or beat tape of sorts and releasing it through tunecore or cdbaby that sort of thing? I'd rather they get hit with the content id notice then me. I have my videos moneytized so it messed up income from the adds and if they happen to win for whatever reason they'll get paid from my video... smh. So id rather they take an L

Thanks
    Yeah you could do the Beatstars thing. If you already have a beatstars account it is probably easiest. Most of these content id programs take a cut tho. (something like 20%)....but 80% of something imo is better than 100% of nothing...

$.02

Thanks
    SFTRAXX is right. It's all a program that runs without any human management. We all know why it's there, but ya, it can get in the way a lot...

Edit: I just saw they released the claim. That's good. But ya fixing it permenently is why we all want...

Hopefully the distribution services can fix this issue in the future. Maybe they can provide an option to allow the artist to set the copyright info when they distribute their tune. It is pretty annoying at times.

and why is somebody leasing beats and putting content ID on them? lol, If they want to own their work, I can see why, ...but if they're leasing beats...lol what? ...that sounds a little fishy. They're getting paid for the beat and they're getting all of your possible revenue, plus all of the revenue from other artists using that beat (on YouTube).

hmm..
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 06-13-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    Soundcloud: Epsilon-144

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BearOnTheBeat View Post
    So id rather they take an L
    One more thing regarding this approach:

A lot of my business comes from repeat customers who I've built relationships with over the years. That being said, this flaw in the content ID system could rub people wrong (as you know) and affect your repeat customers...

So it could end up being a cutting off your nose to spite your face type of situation.

Like Epsilon-144 said, until the content ID situation is fixed...its going to be an ongoing battle....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTRAXX View Post
    One more thing regarding this approach:

A lot of my business comes from repeat customers who I've built relationships with over the years. That being said, this flaw in the content ID system could rub people wrong (as you know) and affect your repeat customers...

So it could end up being a cutting off your nose to spite your face type of situation.

Like Epsilon-144 said, until the content ID situation is fixed...its going to be an ongoing battle....
    Same here a lot of the people that have purchased beats from me usually keep doing business with me. So i try to build a positive relationship with any and all customers, that's why when i reached out to the guy that had initially hit me with that claim he was cool about removing the video. I've got another one being reviewed on a different video but im sure i provided enough evidence for the claim to be released. Im sure the fact that beatstars has those contracts (whether they're good or not) helped me out... Eitherway i appreciate ya'll for responding

Thanks
    Stopped using that site when the free soundcloud pro advertisement wore off.

Thread Information