VERY stressed trying to understand royalties

dcplug

Hey all!

I'm getting very stressed trying to figure out how to receive royalties... Please can someone explain what i need to do/what to register with?

I'm a UK based beat maker, I have been producing beats for rappers (Major and small) all over the world. I signed up to PRS and some of the work i have done has appeared in the 'my works' section, I assume the artists label registered it and entered my CAE/IPI number. Although I havent received any money yet from my works. Then someone told me im going to be missing out on publishing and i should register with tunecore to collect my publishing royalites? So i did that, didn't understand what to do there and then someone said they wont collect royalties for me. Then someone else said Cdbaby will collect my royalties. So i joined them.. then cdbaby said im meant to find a publishing administrator who are not also distributors and that i should ask PRS for suggestions. So i contacted PRS asking them and they said they are not allowed to answer that question...

Literally been going around in circles for months and no one is helping.

All i want to do is recieve my cut from sales, performances, streams, etc. It's the most simple thing. Please can someone help? Will it be more simple if i join bmi instead?

It all depends on what you stated in your contract. What does your contract say? Did you give up publishing, did you register correctly? There are a number of things that can be wrong here. The other thing is royalties sometimes takes years to kick in depending on what's happening on the other end.

Licensing is what I do for a living, but can't advise without seeing your contract

Back