The Top 3 Scams in the Music Industry

agivens

Recently, I onboarded a new client that recorded a song and made contact with a label rep that claimed to have connections that could get Lil Wayne to feature on the track to give it more visibility. I was contacted to negotiate and draft the contract, but when they sent the draft over it was horribly obvious that this was an attempt to scam my client out of $2500.00.

I already know what you’re thinking.

How can you get a Lil Wayne verse for $2500?!?!?

I’ll get to that, but first let me run down the top 3 music industry scams.

1.The Clearance Scam

So you’ve written and recorded the song that you think is going to be your breakthrough hit. The beat knocks, the hook is catchy and all you need is a feature to get you some extra exposure in either a specific market to crossover. Then along comes someone claiming to have connections to the artist that you think will make it all come together. If this person doesn’t have bonafied credentials and proof that they’ve actually worked with that specific artist someone may be trying to run the clearance scam on you.

The clearance scam is when someone claims to be able to get you a feature from a major artist or production from a big name producer. Nevermind any contract paperwork or the necessary clearances from the publisher AND record label. All that you have to do is send them the money and they’ll make it happen. No contract should be a redflag.

So you ask for them to send over some paperwork. On the paperwork you need to look for any addresses, business names and phone numbers so that you can further research the situation. More than likely there will be no mention of the necessary clearances so you couldn’t use the work anyway. On my specific agreement there was no mention of the necessary clearances and the address at the top of the contract was for Warner Bros. Singapore branch. I saw the clearances, but I also know that Lil Wayne is signed to Universal Music Group and Universal also collects his publishing. I also know that Wayne was charging $50K for a verse on a track on the MihTy album so they pulled his verse off of the track that was released.

When the guy was questioned on they sent over another fake contract with a “Dwayne Carter” signature. My client was still out of some money, but it was far less than the $2500 he was going to send in.

2.The Major Label Talent Scout Scam

Most artists have gotten an email from someone claiming to be with a major label that really like the music that you’ve released so far. The catch with this is that they need some kind of up front payment before they can put your music in the right persons hands or book you for a slot in the talent show. First of all, for the person at the label it’s their job to find potentially profitable talent so if your music, image and online presence are the “next big thing” they should be itching to be a part of what you have going on or be trying to lock you into a long term management or production deal so that they get the real benefit of any success that you may gain, not trying to scam some money off of you on the front end. I’ve seen people pay as much as $500 from artists trying to get listened to and gain traction within a major label office.

It’s sad to say, but I've seen more and more of this scam from ex A&Rs at labels being ran on people.

3. The Promoter Scam

There’s nothing wrong with talent shows. Hundreds if not thousands of artists gain exposure through local talent shows and other events. And it’s not unfair to charge artists for a chance to gain exposure to fans and people that work for major labels. I do have a problem when a promoter over promises as to who will be in attendance at their event in order to hype up the event and dishonestly persuade artists to spend their money on fake exposure.

I’ve too often seen promoters claim that there will be “reps” from major labels at the performance, when really it’s a DJ that has some ties with the label, a former A&R with no pull, and a signed artist that doesn’t have a label and has only had mediocre success as an artist or songwriter.

The promoter should have the names of the “reps” that will be there so that you can do your own research to determine if the “reps” in attendance fit your needs as a performing artist or songwriter.

Last edited:
Back