Thoughts on A&Rs in the age of the internet

Beats By Gambit

I only know what it is like now with the use of twitter and email of sending my beats out. But it seems most A&Rs these days do not even work for a record label but are rather free lance middle men.

Most of the time I send my beats off, the so called A&R or producer manager ask for a up front fee to send out tracks or work under them. Without saying any names and being messy by name dropping I wanted to see if people have had similar experiences with this type of A&R.

The reason I started this thread is to get a feel if any body in this forum has sent their beats off to one of these cats and gotten a placement. The likelihood of them actually being "legit" would come out because I know a lot of people use this forum.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's obvious those aren't real A&R's just people themselves calling themselves one.. cause a&r's at real record labels need you just as much you need them.. they got a bring a hit beat to the table.. if you got it, it makes them look good... your dealing with middle men that's a big difference than a real A&R

Thanks for the replies. But one question still stands, has ANYONE gotten a placement from them? Thats really what the thread was directed towards.
Cheers

if you're paying to get a placement (whether it materialises or not) then you are being ripped off

- they should be paying you once the placement is made

that is how A&R is supposed to work - Artist and Repertoire, meaning they are looking for both for the label they work for,

not skimming cash off strangers promising them something they can't deliver

put more bluntly they are paid by the label to find both artists and material for their artists, so why should you pay them to do their job?????

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. But one question still stands, has ANYONE gotten a placement from them? Thats really what the thread was directed towards.
Cheers

i haven't and i don't believe you should expect results. when money and property (your music) is involved you should tread softly. one A&R said he could get my brother's music into the hands of 50 cent and other artists who were hot at the time. all he needed was the money to do it. hell no. keep your money and find a legitimate site where professionals actually look for music from no name acts for big brand artists. now if that A&R believes in your work and wants to do it for free then i say go for it. but just make sure your music is legally yours 1st.

Last edited:
Back