For Those Looking To Make A Living With This Music Thing

Cyko

Last edited:
I see very similar questions like this on futureproducers all the time. Figured I'd share these insightful articles

Take the advice given with a grain of salt

Shaun Letang: 4 Key Factors To Making It In The Industry
How To Make It In The Music Industry - 4 Key*Factors

Greg Savage: 5 Industry Myths Exposed
5 Music Industry Myths

Andre Calilhanna: Whitey Lashes Out “ No Free Music For You!”
Whitey lashes out when asked to give away music for free

Greg Savage is such a nerd, but he has solid points.

The one point I always find missing from posts and lists like these are the commitment/sacrifice factor. You want full-time money? Working 1 hour a day or only 3 days a week won't cut it. Watching a "Walking Dead" marathon won't help. Video games? Wasting your time, unless you're cool with playing video games while the rest of us sell tracks. Sleep late on the weekends? That's on YOU.

I may or may not have "undeniable talent", and my promotional skills are honestly mediocre at best. But since I've shut out the superfluous crap in my life, and spent more hours on music, I've seen results. And I still feel like I could do more.

Kobe Bryant is a top-3 player for his generation because he spent top-3 time on basketball. He talks passionately about the time sacrifices he's made, and I admire it. I've heard that even now (pre-injury), if he has an off-night shooting, he'll grab a ballboy and shoot J's for an hour after a game while the rest of the team showers and does whatever. That's commitment to a craft. That's what we need.

Last edited:
The one point I always find missing from posts and lists like these are the commitment/sacrifice factor. You want full-time money? Working 1 hour a day or only 3 days a week won't cut it. Watching a "Walking Dead" marathon won't help. Video games? Wasting your time, unless you're cool with playing video games while the rest of us sell tracks. Sleep late on the weekends? That's on YOU.

That should be common sense though. Every book and interview I've heard and read preach commitment. I have to shoot you down for the tv and games. Some of us (like me) work in those fields. Sound designing and composing for games means playing the games for hours and adjusting to make everything is working.

Some of us take on 2 roles and some more.

Composer, beta tester and coder

I'm know what you meant, but i had to be a smart ass there :)

I agree through, you have to put in the work to see results

Last edited:
That should be common sense though. Every book and interview I've heard and read preach commitment. I have to shoot you down for the tv and games. Some of us (like me) work in those fields. Sound designing and composing for games means playing the games for hours and adjusting to make everything is working.

Some of us take on 2 roles and some more.

Composer, beta tester and coder

I'm know what you meant, but i had to be a smart ass there :)

I agree through, you have to put in the work to see results

Fair enough. That's watching and playing with a work-oriented purpose. And I should say that I haven't completely cut those things from my life either. But when I get free time, I'd rather keep contributing to my music career than ride the couch for a whole night. It's easier when the Knicks are this bad... I'm into it for a random quarter or so, and then I give up, just like they do.

I may or may not have "undeniable talent", and my promotional skills are honestly mediocre at best. But since I've shut out the superfluous crap in my life, and spent more hours on music, I've seen results. And I still feel like I could do more.

Kobe Bryant is a top-3 player for his generation because he spent top-3 time on basketball. He talks passionately about the time sacrifices he's made, and I admire it. I've heard that even now (pre-injury), if he has an off-night shooting, he'll grab a ballboy and shoot J's for an hour after a game while the rest of the team showers and does whatever. That's commitment to a craft. That's what we need.

Good Point !

Back