Starting a music company need help!

Dirt Dog

what im trying to do is is start my own company inwhich promote and market artists & producers. so i did my homework but feel im missing something. besides the goals and marketing skeems. im just missing the starting out part. so far i got on the list is

Name, logo, location for the company
its going to be a solo proprietorship so im assuming its going to be a LLC.
get a seperate account
and trademark and copyrights

naw since im marketing producers & artists do i have to have publishing for my lable such as BMI or Ascap? or is it my artists responablity?

also besides a lawyer , what other professinals would i need for staffing?

also what are some useful links ?

Last edited:
I see a few things odd about what you said.

1. how do you plan on creating revenue?

2. promoting/marketing is usually a loose term. what do you mean exactly? are you focusing on consumers or industry?

3. DO YOU HAVE A BUDGET?

4. Is this a marketing company? PR company? production company?

5. ASCAP and SESAC (I left out BMI because BMI is a joke) are for people planning on collecting publishing. are planning on collecting any? if so how?

I can go on and on for pages asking questions, what exactly are you trying to do?

I see a few things odd about what you said.

1. how do you plan on creating revenue?

2. promoting/marketing is usually a loose term. what do you mean exactly? are you focusing on consumers or industry?

3. DO YOU HAVE A BUDGET?

4. Is this a marketing company? PR company? production company?

5. ASCAP and SESAC (I left out BMI because BMI is a joke) are for people planning on collecting publishing. are planning on collecting any? if so how?

I can go on and on for pages asking questions, what exactly are you trying to do?

well for starters as a producer i want to start selling my beats within my own website. then expand having producers working under me like shaddowville.com so yeah a production company have producers, engineers, as well as artists.

artists im sure they will be using my company's instrumental aswell as marketing and we will be distrubuting them so im sure we should get some what of publishings for radio play/online radio/shows ect.

as far as marketing goes, im pretty confidence i got was it takes to do viral,video, e-mail, aswell as moble marketing goes. and i know alot of high traffic sites to affliate with.

so baiscaly we only focusing on consumers for fans for artists to sell and artists who would like to invest in there production by buying ur beats.

so i guest production & Marketing company.
but im not 100% im know for a fact as a artist we suppose to get publishing with ascap or bmi or ect. but as a indie compnay im not 100% how that works

DON'T DO ANYTHING YET!!!!! you are not ready. take your time learn first, please dig in these forums for everything!!! i mean dig. read every post you can. you are too far ignorant (this is not a bad thing, not an insult, I just mean you haven't learned yet.) on how the music business works.

I'm not insulting you, not in the least. I'm just pleading for you to slow down. pull over if you need to. you need to pull out the map and take the time to learn where you are heading and where you are at? you need to figure out the route before you start driving. I also suggest read a few books heres a few i recommend:

The Business of Music (billboard books)

The Business of Music: Marketing and Promoting (billboard books)

The Business of Artist Management (billboard books)

All You Need to Know About The Music Bizness by donald passman

Make it happen by kevin liles

do you by russell simmons

Life and Def by russell simmons

young, rich, and dangerous by Jermaine dupri

you also should go to every music conference you can afford. you need to go there to learn.

um as someone who doesn't know squat either, i can say myself that $hit like that takes madddd time. i haven't really been having trouble doing this, because i'm still having internal issues with putting my work out, but i've spent some time working locally and hesitating to go digital with promotion of my own music, for many reasons. well good luck but give it like 6 or so years

Back