SoundCloud Relevant Or Not?

If you're already established on soundcloud might as well keep usin it.
If not move onto Spotify, Audiomack, Deezer & hearthisat

It really depends on your goals at the end of the day. If you want to get listeners and fans, then don't rely on Soundcloud. On the hand, if you truly want you music to be found by people, it would be wise to put music on every relevant platform there is; including the above along with Soundcloud. There's also Grooveshark and many other websites that are dedicated to getting listeners to use them. My suggestion, put your music everywhere that has a large number of listeners and music.

It really depends on your goals at the end of the day. If you want to get listeners and fans, then don't rely on Soundcloud. On the hand, if you truly want you music to be found by people, it would be wise to put music on every relevant platform there is; including the above along with Soundcloud. There's also Grooveshark and many other websites that are dedicated to getting listeners to use them. My suggestion, put your music everywhere that has a large number of listeners and music.

I saw your reply, much respect dude. I think you got it clear, having your music on many platforms is the key because you give yourself the best chance of being discovered. Just relying on Soundcloud is a bad idea. their algorithm is terrible for discovery,and with major lables coming down so heavy on them its almost impossible to standout. I think the best thing an artist can do to build a fans is focusing on building genuine relationships. If you approach people like people and not droids, then they are more likely to respect you and be more receptive to your music.

Thanks for the cred MuhalXtra1387, I got you OGBama, check this out!

I've increased the font size of this post to make for a better read, typed out a bit here.

This may or may not work for some y'all here on FP, as this next bit of advice requires quite a bit of work. You may need to acquire a few technical skills for this one too, if you don't already have them. Or, if learning another skill doesn't suit your desires, you will need money to pay someone to do this for you. Done properly and with careful consideration, this can streamline the entire process of building a network of producers, music companies and organizations to work with. However, if done improperly, can prove to be a waste of energy, time and money. I have done both, yet I continue to do this as a way to work with my clients and earn a living.

Ok, ok, ok here it is...

Build a website for your music brand.

I know what most people are thinking when I say this... Why do I need a website when I've got YouTube, Soundclick, Souncloud, etc. I'm not paying all this money to try and blah blah blah. I get it, website ownership isn't for everyone, it just might be for OGBama.

Website ownership is for those who are serious about becoming know as a music professional, are ready to conduct real business at the moment someone calls and, for certain, are in need of streamlining the multiple account logins that are needed when professionally networking with people. Please consider this advice carefully before you proceed to get one as this can either help you, or hurt instead.

Don't build a website for hosting your music
Everyone is willing host music for you.

Yes, you could use your website as a single source for downloading your music, totally up to you as there are advantages and disadvantages for deciding to go either way. For example, could you use your website as a single source for downloading your music. The producers you network with on Soundcloud, and everywhere else, will bookmark your website; marking you a potential beat buyer. The more producers you buy beats from, the more word gets out about your website. However, hosting music online yourself can get expensive; specifically in relevance to the speed of your website and how much space it consumes on a web hosting server. The amount of time it takes for your website to load is of a direct reflection of the type of files and amount of content you have on it, in addition to the other websites you share a web hosting server with. On the other hand, you could save the cost of maintaining servers and website speed in this way by just having a Soundcloud account. Along with other similar online music accounts or profiles, producers will find you website.

Um, alright, you may or may not know what I'm talking about just yet. I could elaborate more on the previous paragraph if need be, however, it's not my purpose for giving you this advise OGBama. Instead, as an Artist, post your music to Soundcloud as a way for producers to hear and download promotional music; to talk about and share in their independent circles. The greatest part about owning a website is the one I think could benefit you the most.

Generate leads from your website.

Inform them that this is the best way to get you to listen to their beats for consideration in your projects.

A website can, and will filter through all of the time wasters for you. People who want to waste your time with free services from you will be forced to benefit you in other ways before attempting to contact you. They'll do it automatically themselves because website ownership is a statement to the world that says, "I take my music brand seriously, you can't waste my time, this website won't let you." It should serve as a way for producers to contact you after doing business with them for the first time. Create a submission form for producers to leave links where you can listen to their music. Specify links instead of downloads. Serious producers will have their material ready in such a way that you can listen online. If they don't, it's probably a setup, don't waste time with people who can't work with you conveniently. We live in a sink or swim world, be careful of sharks, eat plankton to be a whale.

Your website should serve as a funneling system between you and the people you work with. Use it to build a client base of people you work with on a regular basis. Include collaborating artist, producers, music companies, endorsers, sponsors, etc. in the private online community you build. I suggest that you keep it a private community. Public communities will require more dedication, time and maintenance to successful; of which will take you off of your focus of networking professionally online and finding the right producers.

In future blogs and posts I will be focusing more on topics such as this for IdieHost. I'm always willing to make time and look for ways to help out the community. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns on this matter. Thanks for sparking my interests!

Last edited:
Soundcloud for me is still a classic, especially now with track monetization.

Pretty much anyone can make money from it now.

At the end of the day all it is is a lead generation website for artists. .. Is it relevant still? Yes.

In fact I find it better than options like YouTube because YouTube is too video/graphic design based.

I can't say that I gave it much of a chance.

I tried a few times with long periods of time between tries. Every time I started new, I would get more spam than legit engagement so I just said "screw it, I'm taking my talents to youtube" :cool:

Back