Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SoundCloud Relevant Or Not?

Thanks

SoundCloud Relevant Or Not?

Sign in to disable this ad
    For those that use SoundCloud when did you register and is it still relevant for connecting w/producers who only produce, rappers who only rap, etc.?
    "Once black music leaves its original context, it begins to take on different meanings and serve different functions, and it is interpreted very differently." Portia Maultsby

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OGBama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    SoundCloud has helped me connect with several people who make music, so yes it's very relevant. If you try to blow off SoundCloud as nothing big you'll not sit well.
    I will be the best musician in the world!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OGBama View Post
    For those that use SoundCloud when did you register and is it still relevant for connecting w/producers who only produce, rappers who only rap, etc.?
    I'm not totally sure when I registered but it says my oldest track that's still up was uploaded 7 years ago. At one point in time I considered it to be more of a social thing but nowadays I just find it to be a convenient host for my music, particularly if I want to release a single track ahead of a full project. Not everybody can play a song when you post using Spotify, but everyone should be able to hear it on SoundCloud whether it's via email, status update, whatever else. I definitely have found some people on there to work with but not anybody super recently. I haven't totally closed the door on making connections through there though.
    Hit me up on Facebook! Producer album on Spotify and Bandcamp if you want to check it out.

Thanks
    I wouldn't ignore it. It's easy enough to access, has something of a built-in audience. I'm not primarily a HH producer, and I haven't posted anything new in my several accounts in a long time, but I still get e-mail notifications from people discovering tracks or podcasts that they like.

I'd say don't spend the money on premium yet, but definitely get involved.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Kinda both.
    I feel people glorify the power of Soundcloud a bit too much, with leading examples from people who got exteremly lucky to have their song (the first song they happen to post) blow. It's a dog eat dog community down to the first time you enter the site as a registered user imo. All Soundcloud throws your way is the ability to tag useless hashtags that instantly puts your song into a grave, by that I mean just having it thrown into a vast amout of other tracks people are making, just like a tweet on Twitter that gets overlooked. The "follow and unfollow train" is a nightmare, also is the "random user like train" that gets all people involved nowhere. Messaging other artist is a thing more up and comers kinda see as a waste of time, and end up ignoring stuff sent in by fans or other artist. I feel its that "I,ve worked up to this following, so my work networking is done." type deal and also they could super busy. Added onto that note that some people just turn off the ability to send messages by, which is kinda just a dead end for a major crowd, and then you're forced to sound like a begger by the rest of the community if you attempt to comment a message for the arist on a sound. Guess what? The artist is like 95% not gonna reply...
    It's extremley difficult as a starting artist on Soundcloud, unless you are signed and have the label/managment to put up a paid pro account for you that will already have a following. Soundcloud has become pretty commercial as well, you are met with the biggest artist that are found all over the place (Spotify, iTunes, Radio,) and that just hurts the traffic you could gain from new fans, and artist alike. It also kinda kills some orginality that new talent bring by just being thrown into that group.

I wouldn't overlook it though, but I'd work on establishing myself in other areas more then Soundcloud. Because at the end of the day traffic gotta come from somewhere, and it's difficult to get organic traffic from Soundcloud itself.
    Instgram: @PlanetBefore / Twitter: https://twitter.com/DidOliverDoThat

Thanks
    To me, Soundcloud is even more saturated with artists than SoundClick, MySpace, and MP3.com (late 90's/early 2000's). It's harder than ever to stand out on SoundCloud than anything that came before it because there's entirely too much content and no focus and that's largely due to the bar being lowered so significantly to what constitutes an "artist" nowadays. Thanks to rampant piracy everybody with a computer thinks they're an artist, so platforms like SoundCloud stay overcrowded with people trying to make it.

Me personally, when I get 100% back into the swing of things, I'm just going to submit tracks directly to labels and artists through their websites. When it's time to release a new Techno EP or whatever, it's being done through BandCamp and I'll get the word out through FaceBook and various other message boards like this one to drive traffic.
    "... got a problem with your processor? your gonna have to call pentium for that." - joey tunez

Thanks
    I signed up Soundcloud a while back, I still do utilize it for my productions but not as much as I do with my website and Spotify. Many artists still use it so I dont feel that it will fade. There is still plenty of opportunity and networking available through this resource though.
    Terrence "Esquire" Huggins
    http://esquireproductions.beatstars.com

Thanks
    I love everything about soundcloud, and I think that if you want to use it to connect with people you totally can.
    I feel like it's probably the necessary starting point for hip hop music.

Thanks
    soundclouds relevancy is about sky rocket with their new stream revenue algorithms they just integrated

Thanks
    I take the utilize every source approach and get their traffic while directing it all back to my own site Izzalap – Official JP Izzalap Music & Merch

same with beats .. they aren't for us but sure can use their extra traffic haha
    The Secret is out: FREE KIT (LIMITED TIME ONLY) www.HipHopVocalSamples.com Also Producers Secret Resources E-Book Instagram @PureBreadPro F4F

Thread Information