Sound Exchange

Anybody actually receiving royalties from Sound Exchange? I've tried several times over the past 5 years to get set up right with Sound Exchange but I can never get far with it. I've filled out that Excel spreadsheet several times and so far I've only got about 10 songs listed with them. The only songs that have been added to my catalog are the ones I've put out through CDBaby. I've emailed their support team and each time they send me the same spreadsheet to fill out.

I'm really interested to see who is getting paid from them and what steps they took to get right with Sound Exchange.

Sounds like you have two issues here;
One being getting songs added to their system and two being collecting royalties.

I have heard some bad things about soundexchange. In fact, Lil Wayne is suing them as well as Cash Money/Universal records. I'm currently looking for a SoundExchange alternative but I haven't found one yet.

Are you sure that you're owed royalties? Are you collecting from any other PRO's?

Thanks for the reply. I've been getting royalties from BMI for the past 10 years. I get a payment every quarter. Most of my licenses are for TV shows and Youtube videos. I do have some internet radio plays as well. I'm assuming that would mean Sound Exchange owes me something.

The biggest issue is getting my songs added to their system. I'm wondering if I have to submit everything listed in my BMI catalog. That would entail a lot of paperwork if this is true. I currently have 242 works in my catalog with BMI. The problem with that is most of them are songs that were re-titled by JinglePunks, Getty, or some other licensing companies. Many of these songs I am not able to supply all of the info that Sound Exchange is requesting because the songs are so old.

I may end up just slowly adding what I can and then from now on making sure that any new songs I release are added to Sound Exch

I haven't used Taxi or MusicXray. I just recently started using SongTradr and actually got my first 6 placements with them over the weekend. My usual placements come from Rumblefish, JinglePunks, Getty, and Mibe Music.

The re-titleing is the problem. more than likely someone else is collecting your royalties for the same music that's been registered under the re-titled name. it's a shame that this happens in the music industry.

Back