Social Networking & Social Trends in 2017

What social platform works for you in 2017?

• Facebook

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Twitter

• Instagram

• Soundcloud

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • YouTube

• Other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
Just out of curiosity I wanted to create a poll to see where people are currently connecting effectively with their audience.

Feel free to contribute (and drop a link).

Also, maybe you can share a method or 2 with the FP fam that works in terms of engagement.

---

I'll start off.

FB and Instagram have been my 2 main channels.

3 Things that have worked for me have been

1. making a habit to post regularly

2. posting native content*

3. Responding to replies and replying genuinely

*If you're not sure what native content is they you need to find Gary Vee on YouTube ASAP.

On a side note: I really wanted my twitter channel to take off but it never did... :4theloveofgod:

Who's next?

I'd rather Facebook than Instagram, because people can click the links on Facebook(and redirected to Soundcloud or any other website's.).

I'm trying to put a lot of effort into Insta and twitter right now but people always recommend Facebook so I might start soon.

Soundcloud and Youtube.
Soundcloud is built around music, so of course we should be on it. And it's growing from being a producer community to being an actual music-fan platform.
Youtube is excellent as well, and has a huge user-base. My videos are only 2-3 months in and getting a lot of views and positive reviews.

I'm not a model, so instagram isn't really all that for me. I know some musicians and producers can get good attention on instagram but I didn't start earlier enough so i look a little behind on it. ...and facebook is just like the new myspace. I think it's a lot better to make your own website (and you can do anything you want on it).

So I say Soundcloud, YouTube, and a Website.

Last edited:
None of them to be honest.
I hate social media.. especially since I've stopped doing it myself and now see the effect it has on people much more clearly. Everybody is turning into a distracted, hedonistic, naive dweep these days...
I shut everything off.. best decision ever!! I don't think social is 'the future' either.. in a way social media represents the death of the 'global village' idea and a retreat from the open world wide web back to walled safe gardens with only like-minded other people. You can see how that's working out just by looking at the last US election... what a total shit show.

I'll use services like a platform to present my work.. it's handy for that.
The only social medium I like for it's social component is Youtube. I'd like to turn localspace into a channel eventually.. but even then that would mostly be meant as a way to promote and support our 'offline' activities.... which
is what the whole Localspace concept is really about. I'd rather be famous in my hometown for knocking parties out every week or month, than to have a million online followers from all across the world. That's where music is going (back to) anyway.

^ word brother. I did the same and feel so much better now. lol facebook was the worst of 'em all man. I couldnt have a reasonable conversation with anybody on there after everyone and their mom (literally) flocked over from myspace. ( lol I was one of the early facebook cats from 2006). After 2010, facebook had drawn everybody off myspace, and after 2012, it was just gone. The old facebook was just completely gone and turned exactly into myspace.

lol i hear ya, man. Ya win the local crowd, but don't leave out the homeboys in Trinidad and Tobago!!!!

Last edited:
Biggest reason I don't do social media is 'cause the concept of privacy is dying as a symptom of social media. Plus everyone is connected to the point of being disconnected.

^ ya, word. that's a huge issue. Even for the military, it's like really bad. The captain from my officer selection would post like formation and combat tactics on an open facebook group. The enemy can see everything and study us. They already know "oh, the leader marches there in a echelon formation, ...perfect, snipe that guy." but that info is everywhere.

...and not related to music at all, but just an example of social media privacy problems.

and of course theres hacking. If somebody really wanted some information on you, they can hack into it...(if they know how).

Last edited:
I mainly connect with audeince on Twitter and Soundcloud. I'm working on being more present on IG but dont know of any apps. I see ppl post a wallpaper and their beat in the background all the time. I feel like facebook is a bit more personal for me, would you guys recommend starting a fan page through FB?

...from a marketing standpoint, having your own website is super important. It's not at the mercy of "the myspace effect" and you can do anything you want with it. You're not confined to a set layout, and you can monetize it....in, well, a lot of ways.

so..ya, "other" lol

Last edited:
From a strictly marketing standpoint social media almost can't be beaten unless A) your name is already hot and speaks for you or B) you are around a bunch of guys who are already artists in studios and purchase beats on the regular. There was a time before social media where all you could do is bump into hot artists and hang around studios and clubs and hope someone like jayz or 50cent would give you a chance. That is still imo the best way to market as building a personal relationship and getting the phone number/email to a major artist or even a minor artist will always beat social media. But social media is a close second. Alot of hot producers starting on the internet now vs back in the day.

There's a difference between marketing like a fly and marketing like a lion.

The fly goes out and bothers everybody, ...while the lion just chills and everybody comes to it.

Last edited:
Back