Royalty Help

Shands

Dj Shands
Hey guys basically I want to continue selling my beats to artists but also sell for tv/film/videogame use etc. I would like a better understanding of royalites-should i collect them,when i should collect them etc. If anyone has some advice id love to hear, or if you could lead me in the right direction, to some royalty and licensing 101 info. that would be great!

Hey guys basically I want to continue selling my beats to artists but also sell for tv/film/videogame use etc. I would like a better understanding of royalites-should i collect them,when i should collect them etc. If anyone has some advice id love to hear, or if you could lead me in the right direction, to some royalty and licensing 101 info. that would be great!

Music Licensing - 90 Day Challenge | Diy Music Biz | Do It Yourself Music Business
http://ascap.com
http://bmi.com

The PRO sites tell you exactly when and how much they pay

Last edited:
thanks for the responses and links guys, and sorry for the late response. Ive been looking at the info when i can, its alot! I got just a quick question right now if anyone can answer. Would a beatmaker beat considered a songwriter/composer and publisher? Or just the composer?

You'd be the Publisher if you actually took the step of setting-up an artist-owned publishing company by registering it with the PRO of your choice
(which is a simple and relatively inexpensive process by the way)... Easy to do.

GJ

thanks for the responses and links guys, and sorry for the late response. Ive been looking at the info when i can, its alot! I got just a quick question right now if anyone can answer. Would a beatmaker beat considered a songwriter/composer and publisher? Or just the composer?

Composer/writer (in most cases) and publisher... Unless you've signed with publisher.

Composer, regardless if you're signed by a publisher.

You will always be the Composer. But the best thing you can do for yourself is write a contract with everyone that you work with. Your contract should cover all terms related to your work. You can always negotiate a contract, but you should receive royalties for your work, and credit at a minimum. I know a few Producers that sell all of their rights to the music. This practice is usually only done if the producer does not feel that the film or short movie will get a lot of play. Another example of selling the music exclusively, is for a company that is non-profit. This means there won't be too much royalties coming in anyway. You have to choose if you want to cash out or ride the coat tails. But you should always look to get credit for you work.

Back