Reference track questions

itsosman

Hey I have some questions about creating reference tracks.

1. For example, I If I produced the beat, someone else wrote the song, and then someone else recorded the vocals for the reference track, how would royalties be split? The vocalist wouldn't receive royalties because they only did the reference track right?

2. Who buys reference tracks? Im wondering if artists buy rights to them, or labels? And do indie labels and artists also license reference tracks?

3. Where can you put up reference tracks, besides PMP, for music industry people to see?

4. In general, how much do reference tracks sell for upfront?

Thank you for your time

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

and by reference tracks, I mean beats with songs already written and recorded on them

1. For example, I If I produced the beat, someone else wrote the song, and then someone else recorded the vocals for the reference track, how would royalties be split? The vocalist wouldn't receive royalties because they only did the reference track right?

You should handle your royalty split before getting involved in a project with anyone. The idea is secure your income percentage before it's too late. It's too late when the beat has left your studio and gone to another. A reference track is an audio engineering term that means to use a mixed and mastered song that has the desired results of an unmixed or mastered song. Royalties only apply to songs that are broadcasted or performed. You should do more research on how to handle business for your own protection bro. Check out Artist House Music.

2. Who buys reference tracks? Im wondering if artists buy rights to them, or labels? And do indie labels and artists also license reference tracks?

Nobody, neither, no

3. Where can you put up reference tracks, besides PMP, for music industry people to see

Anywhere you want to as long as you're within copyright laws.

4. In general, how much do reference tracks sell for upfront?

Reference tracks are not sold.

You are talking about songs; actual songs. That exactly what a beat that has lyrics is called. Songs are licensed all the time. Just visit the website and you'll learn the answers to these questions for yourself. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thx for the help! On PMP,when producers or songwriters have full songs up for licensing, they call them reference tracks. I know that its also used in mixing and mastering. That site yo ulinke dme looks great, gonna read through it today

Back