Question Regarding Exclusive Leases

LJC

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the details of an exclusive lease on a beat. (Also, correct me if I'm wrong: But to my understanding, an exclusive lease means that you are the only who can use that beat.) Okay, here it is: Suppose you lease a beat to some people with non-exclusive rights (a lot of people have bought your beat in other words), and then someone wants to buy EXCLUSIVE rights to that particular beat. What happens then? If other people already purchased the beat, then can you still get exclusive rights to that same beat? I am very confused about how this works. Are you only able to have exclusive rights if you're the FIRST person to purchase that beat?

Thanks,

LJC

Thank you for your reply! This does answer my question about what exactly an exclusive beat is, but it does not answer the directly asked question. Again, I pose the question: What happens if someone buys non-exclusive rights to a beat, then someone buys exclusive rights to that same beat. What happens to both parties?

Thanks,

LJC

Yeah I feel you that's a really good question, check this out this is how this guy is doing it. I think its one of those things where you make your own terms but this is just an example of how this guy is doing it.

Frequently Asked Questions | Beats by Shadowville Productions

3. What if someone buys the exclusive rights license after I already bought a non-exclusive rights license to the same beat?
Nothing. As long as you made the purchase before the exclusive rights being sold off, all your rights remain intact as described on your certificate of licensing. However, you will no longer be able to purchase additional rights to the same beat if the exclusive rights to it has been sold. We encourage you to buy the exclusive rights as soon as you realize you need such rights due to this first-come first-serve policy.

Last edited:
Back