question about "leasing" and the term "distribute"

dvyce

The question was asked:

When I buy a lease it says
'Distribute up to 2,000 copies'

Does that mean you can SELL up to 2,000?
Would I beable to let as many people download my mixtape for free without having to deal with the 2,000 limit?

This is referring to a "nonexclusive license", though you see the term "lease" is being used by people.

When a contract/agreement says you can "distribute" a certain amount of copies, this number (absent any specific language to the contrary) includes both FREE copies as well as SOLD copies to the general public.

So, if your agreement allows you to "distribute up to 2000 copies", this means when you add up all the copies you sell and give away for free to the general public, it must be no more than 2000 copies.

Period.

(Obviously, you can break or default on your contract. You can lie. You can steal. You can do this or that and say that nobody will ever know you are selling more than you agreed to... etc, etc... but none of that changes the fact that the answer to this question is exactly as written above. So, lets not take this thread off topic. There is no point in ruining this thread with off topic garbage. This is not about what anybody feels is "right" or "wrong"... this is an easy question with an actual specific answer. See above for the answer.)

I guess you had to get this out... Do you feel better now? lol

I figured the actual question and answer from that other thread (which was asked and answered all in far less than a single page) deserved to be seen and not lost in 11 pages of nothingness.

So, I guess the answer to your question would be "yes".

:)

Back