Question about BMI: beats/ songs registrations

Hello people,

I’m a new member of BMI and have a fundamental question. I would like to understand the process for me because I was never a member of a collecting society before. And please excuse my bad english, I'm from Germany.

I’m a beat producer / composer and sell licensing licenses to artists for commercial use. The artists record songs on my instrumentals and distribute them.
If now one of my clients has registered the song on my instrumental with his collecting society and registered me with. Do I have to register the beat of this song in my BMI account or is it enough if my client logs this song on my beat at his collecting society and enters my IPI number?

I would be happy to get some help from you guys :).

Peace
InsaneBeatz

I always register the beats before I send them to anyone. This doesn't guarantee me anything but it does give me some sense of protection. I think the artist is responsible for reporting the usage of your music. Registering the beat is more beneficial when you are sending them out to be licensed or used by themselves. I think the situation changes when your beat becomes part of a bigger project. In the end, it costs nothing to register a beat and it does provide you with some form of protection in certain situations.

Back