proper way for collecting royalties?

keezodavis

keezoPdavis
ok i hav been up and down this forum and can not find a detailed answer and was wondering if anyone has any experience with royalties. basically my concern is when i sell my beats exclusively i do put in my contract we split the publishing rights 50/50. I signed up as a songwriter for bmi awhile back, i finally got in contact with one of the artists that i sold an exclusive too, he had bmi as well. I go to fill out the form and do everything correctly, but left the publisher entry blank, but it still let me submit it without the publisher, havent made any money yet so either hes not gettin plays or i did it wrong or becuz theres no publisher. I heard i have to sign up for my own publishing company thru bmi or ascap. So eventually i signed up as a publisher with ascap and now anytime i go to register work, lets say the guy a sold a beat to is with bmi, it tells me i cant work with a songwriter from another PRO. i also tried to add my ascap to the publisher entry on bmi, also said the same thing. so should i jus make another account, but a songwriter one for ascap, then wen i register a work ill b the publisher, plus the songwriter, then will i b able to add a bmi writer? does anyone kno the proper way to setting ur PROs up? also what if someone doesnt have a PRO or for some reason you cant get a hold of them, do u register it and take 100%? Ive been tryin to figure this out and i cant find the proper way to set up for Producers anywhere on the internet. plz and thank you in advance! sorry this is so long but my current situation lol

Back